Thursday, April 11, 2013

clearing off my camera






So...I have some pretty cute kids.



 Luke made this crown on Friday and wore it almost the entire weekend.  It was awesome.

I gave the girls haircuts on Saturday morning--Juliet because I think she's had maybe two haircuts in her entire life (that scraggly mullet took SO long to grow in that I hated to cut it!  It wasn't a mullet anymore, but still a bit scraggly).  I cut Abigail's hair because she is constantly--and absent-mindedly--chewing on it.  I've tried braiding it back and pulling it back, etc. (I never let her wear it down) but she always pulls out a few wisps for chewing.  She also has a tendency to bite her fingernails down until they bleed and twists her earrings so much that she has given herself multiple infections and lost all of her earrings (I finally quit replacing them because I'm hoping the nervous tendency will subside, but it was quickly replaced by hair-chewing).  Sigh.  I don't know if this is the legacy of her years of sucking her thumb when she was a baby/toddler, or what, but I wish I knew an effective way to help her break the habits.



Anyway.  Back to Luke, who is really into walking rather than being carried when we're out and about these days (nice on hikes, because he runs really fast the whole time, not so much fun in parking lots).





































And here am I, great with child.  More about that later.

So we switched Luke to his big-boy bed two weeks ago, and really, it's gone quite well.  Out of those two weeks, there was only one day where he tried to come out during naptime (for about, oh, two minutes).  When he was quiet I went in to check on him and found this.  Those little bare tucked-up toes just melt my heart!
 The boys and I spent some time the other morning fixing things up for the baby.  It took Luke only 30 seconds to break the mobile that has survived the other three kids...
 Abigail is now sleeping on the other side of the baby's room.
 And Jooj is happily ensconced in the Owlery.  (The boys are in the bunkbeds, but please forgive me for not posting a picture of their room until I have repainted it and my little men are no longer sleeping in a lavender room with dinosaurs hanging on the walls.)



 

Since we have a new swing for the baby, I've been letting Luke swing away to his heart's content in the old non-functioning one.  I have the feeling that it's going to be getting a lot of use in the next few months.  Today I dragged it into the kitchen in hopes that he would hang out there rather than continuing to wreak a path of destruction (Hurricane Luke was in rare and impressive form today, the likes of which we have not seen in months, and which caused both Neil and I to talk excitedly about the time when I'll be in labor and it will be just us!  Our house was so crazy today that Neil said, "Just think--it will be like 12 hours of just the two of us!  Best date ever!" and so crazy today that I replied happily, "You're right!  Oh, I can't wait!"  Never mind that whole labor bit).

So...speaking of pregnancy, I'll be 38 weeks on Saturday.  I'm vacillating between being SO ready to have this baby and realizing how much still needs to happen before my due date (big things like Abigail's birthday party, Abigail's baptism, and the end of the semester and all the accompanying grading).  But let's be honest, it's quite miserable at this point.  I think it's nicely encapsulated by this blurry photo Juliet took of me today when I was making a pinata...check out the contrast between my wrists and my massively swollen ankle.  This is the one that always gives me problems (I had a pressure ulcer from swelling there at one point), and when I went in to see the midwife today, she told me to stay off my feet as much as possible, and I looked at my two active little boys running around the exam room, and...I laughed.  Oh well.




 I snapped a couple more shots tonight after I finished exercising.  We're getting closer!  And frankly, I can't wait to stop gaining weight.  I've gained more with this pregnancy than any of the previous four, nor am I following my typical pattern where I lose 5 pounds in the last month. Yikes!


2 comments:

Melissa said...

For what it's worth, I think you look great and I really admire you for exercising.

Melanie said...

Ha! I love the 12 hour date idea... what fun you will have! You're looking quite fabulous still!

Related Posts with Thumbnails