Sunday, June 02, 2013

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods





There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, 
There is a rapture on the lonely shore, 
There is society, where none intrudes, 
By the deep sea, and music in its roar: 
I love not man the less, but Nature more, 
From these our interviews, in which I steal 
From all I may be, or have been before, 
To mingle with the Universe, and feel 
What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.


I've got to hand it to Lord Byron--there is something about the woods that never fails to renew my spirit and recharge my soul.  Especially when I've been battling the doldrums.



The children and I came home on Friday.  I was kind of (hah! understatement!) a stressed-out mess that night.  I may or may not have messaged Neil telling him that I hoped at least three of the kids survived until he got home from work.

On Saturday it seemed like we had a million things to do.  I was so stressed out that I made executive decision to scrap everything we needed to do and go hiking.  We still had a mile-long to-do list when we came home, but the time in the woods plus a long run made it seem possible again.






Today after church Abigail and I made a strawberry pie together.  It was lovely and it helped me to stay calm when we had a major breach of rules later (think glitter and glue all.over.the.entire.house).  Whew.  We are really, um, learning how to be parents and our poor first child, aka the guinea pig, is the one who is the most like me, which is difficult for both of us (I literally started crying tears of joy when my mother told me that Abigail was a challenging child because I was so relieved that I was not the only one who was struggling to know how to meet her needs. Abigail and I both have very strong wills and a consistent refusal to believe that anyone else knows a better path than the one we've laid out, and boy howdy, do we get some fireworks going.  I think Abigail is going to be the answer to all the prayers people have prayed in hopes that I would become more patient/loving/understanding/everything my character needs to become a decent person).


And since it's spring and there are loads of strawberries and our garden is producing lettuce LIKE MAD (thank you, nice cool June weather!) we ate this deliciousness tonight...



 ...and then we hit the woods again.  Because my husband knows me well.



I'm not sure what is going on with my expression (maybe looking into the sun?) but I was there too.




 One of my goals this summer was to eat outside at least once a week because when I was a kid it always seemed so magical and exciting.  I realized tonight that we hadn't eaten outside yet and so I packed up the pie and we enjoyed it right after we finished our little hike.


 Sad/funny story: Luke took off after the girls (who ate their pie super fast, ate seconds, and then ran off to play) and left his pie behind.  I figured he was probably done and so when Isaac asked for thirds I told him he could eat Luke's pie.  And then...Luke came back. And looked at his empty plate, and looked up at me with this super sad face and said, "Nooooo!" and just fell over in this little heap on the grass and started crying and I felt so bad for him and so I gave him like a gazillion strawberries when we got home. Plus Isaac felt really bad and kept apologizing to Luke, which was sad but also funny because of how earnest Isaac is when he talks these days.  Aaannnd this pie is awesome so you should go make it right now.


3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

This post was so cute, and so heartwarming, and I laughed aloud, but--WHAT HAPPENED TO ISAAC'S ADORABLE HAIR?

Rachael said...

Summer haircuts all around. Poor little guy kept coming in from playing in the backyard with his hair plastered to his head with sweat.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! Wow! They are all getting taller. That pie looks great! The poor Luke pie story and then Isaac apologizing to him was so very dear. Hugs to all of you!
Love,
Aunt Pam & Uncle Kevin

Related Posts with Thumbnails