Sunday, January 05, 2014

for my sister

 Yesterday as I was vacuuming the living room I finally decided that I was done with blogging. I just felt like I didn't really have anything left to say other than posting pictures, and I felt like my life was so full right now that it was something I could cut out to simplify things.

And then my sister ended up in the hospital, and as I was talking to her and asking if there was anything I could do, she said she'd like some pictures of the kids and what we've been up to lately.

So this is for her.

Have I mentioned lately how sweet and patient this cat is? We totally lucked out. He's amazing and I love him so much. I really and truly do.



 


Yesterday some of our dearest friends came into town and we were able to spend the day with them. We have missed them so much and it was so wonderful to have them here! I loved how the girls just picked up right where they left off--every time we see them it's the same way. I'm glad that we live close enough that we've been able to visit back and forth four times since they moved away.

 Oh, I've missed this so much! Seriously, I was so thrilled to have them jumping all over the couches together...made me smile every time I looked over.

 Group shot--we love these people!! (and look how old Abigail looks holding Nathan. That girl is growing up so fast).

My sisters Elise & Rosalind both crocheted me these gorgeous scarves for Christmas--seriously, they were so beautiful! I wore both during the course of the day today and they totally lived up the nickname I gave them of "sister hugs." I've told my sister Rosalind a million times that she needs to just be my personal shopper and pick out my clothes--for Christmas she gave me an outfit all put together and so I wore it to church today and felt very loved.


































And Juliet wanted to get in on the photo action.



































Annnnd the Tot is darling.

So we're right smack in the middle of that awesome storm path. We had at least a foot of snow today (on top of the three inches we already had) and I haven't looked outside in a couple of hours, so it's probably even higher now, plus the drifts! No school for the kids for the next two days, and the university is officially shut down, and the town is under a snow emergency. We went to church today just for sacrament meeting and then made our (veeeeery slow) way home, where we proceeded to clear our driveway several times so we could get the van up the hill!


































And this is what happened to our lawn in the process. Fortunately we have really awesome neighbors and thanks to their snowblowing and van-pushing and snow-shoveling help, we finally got it inside the garage. Crazy, I tell you!

































Wild-haired Isaac drinking hot chocolate and eating coconut-chocolate pie (which is just as delicious as it sounds. 4 T. butter mixed with 11 oz coconut for the crust, bake at 350 for 20 minutes, and then pour 1 1/4 cups of boiling cream over 14 oz of chopped bittersweet chocolate, let it sit for 10 minutes, then stir it together and pour into the coconut crust, and chill for 1 hour. You're welcome.)

































The camera was still all fogged up from being outside and I didn't notice before snapping these, but still pretty cute little kiddos.


Abigail is diligently working to master the selfie.

.
Isaac took this photo of me right before bedtime tonight. It's not the most flattering, but I'm posting it for two reasons: 1) Abigail has been making me rubber-band bracelets for days and I love them and her so much and 2) you can see my chopped-off pinky in this picture, which I don't know that I've ever mentioned on this blog but is certainly an interesting fact for posterity. :-)




Once we lit the fire, the cat planted himself nearby on a sheepskin rug and stayed there for the next 4 hours.

Doesn't Totty have gorgeous eyes? I'm hoping they stay this shade.





So this is how Tot spends 99% of his time on his stomach--SuperBaby! No arms and legs touching the floor! I would have the most amazing abs if I just did this next to him all day.




 Snow levels at some point during the afternoon...

 



 And some more SuperBaby with the requisite sheepskin, because I realized that I had not yet done a naked-baby-on-sheepskin photo session with Nathan, and the fire's warmth seemed to lend itself perfectly to that opportunity.




































Look! Two dainty little teeth.

































Completely fascinated with the crinkliness of his diaper (we haven't been able to cloth diaper Nathan very effectively since his legs are so slim that they just don't fill the diaper leg holes. And quite honestly, it was so stressful for me to see this at every diaper change--total panic attack-inducing--that I'm just not going to worry about cloth diapers right now.  Maybe if he ever gets out of the needing-to-be-fed-with-an-eyedropper phase, but since it's been going on for six months now, I kind of doubt that.)

































I love baby toes. They're so perfect and they just make my heart swell up. I've really been having a hard time lately watching Nathan get older. I would really like to have at least one more baby, but the idea of stopping after that is just awful to me. I love my little babies and toddlers and preschoolers and kindergardeners and elementary-aged kids so much. Each stage has so many heart-warming and heart-wrenching moments that I just don't want to move on out of this phase of my life. I was sitting on Isaac's bed tonight singing him to sleep and rocking Nathan in my arms while I rubbed Isaac's back and thinking that I just don't want this to end. Ever. Yes, of course there are days and moments where I think I'll go crazy, but by and large, I love my life so much and I am so grateful for the influence I have in my children's lives. I can't comprehend the point where we will finally decide that our family is "complete" because it just feels to me (now) like that's closing so many doors. Can't I just forever live in a world of baby toes and toothless grins and four-year-olds holding my chin between their hands when they talk to me and eight-year-olds who tell me that we never have leftovers because I'm the best cook in the world and six-year-olds who draw funny little pictures of the two of us holding hands with a heart over our heads and two-year-olds who insist on sitting on my lap whenever possible and giggle happily once they're ensconced in my arms?







3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Thank you so, so much! This just felt like a warm hug from all of you--it was so so good to see the kids (and even you, in a couple of shots!) and see how they're growing and how happy you are. I miss you all so much that sometimes it physically hurts, and while seeing these pictures makes me miss you more, it's a good kind of hurt. Thank you for sharing your life with me online until we can see each other again in person. I love you so much!

Mary Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Don't quit posting! I would miss you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails