Friday, February 21, 2014

Five things

1) I just finished one of my strongest-feeling runs ever, which is saying a lot because it was sixteen miles on the treadmill and it's 11:54 PM (it takes a long time to run that far and there's no way I can start until after the kiddies are in bed). My average pace was 9:36, I gradually sped up during the last 7 miles, and I finished at 8:00/mile. The rule of thumb I've read is to do your long runs anywhere from 30-90 seconds slower than your planned marathon pace, so I'm feeling pretty good about this one. :-)

2) I've had a bunch of students turn their projects in early and I've been able to get a jump on the grading. This makes such a huge difference to the craziness of my week next week. Bless them!

3) I spent quite awhile yesterday restocking my freezer with things to pack in the kids' lunches. I baked 8 dozen muffins and made 4 dozen pizza pockets. Everyone was thrilled and it felt so good to open up the freezer and see all those neatly labeled bags--again with the simplification of my life! Best of all, I finally got the whole-wheat pizza pocket dough to rise beautifully which was quite thrilling. :-)

4) Nathan slightly improved in his willingness to eat today, which makes a gigantic difference in my emotional well-being.

5) I've been really struggling with chronic fatigue over the last month--almost unbearably so. I keep falling asleep reading to the kids and every morning when I wake up I'm incredibly groggy. Without going into too much detail here, I realized today that my iron is probably way low and so I took a couple of iron pills and bam, I feel like a million bucks (and then I ran 16 miles).

5 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I'm so, so glad the iron is helping! Hope you continue to feel better, and that Nathan keeps eating!

Kathleen said...

Can I request that you post recipes for your favorite muffins and pizza pockets?? And then how you package them for the freezer? And can I ask this totally creepily because you probably don't even know that I follow your blog? Your family is just so cute!!

Rachael said...

Absolutely! Not creepy at all. :-)

This time I made pumpkin muffins and carrot muffins. Sometimes I've done walnut-Craisin or blueberry-lemon muffins as well.

Link here for the pumpkin muffins: http://icooktorelax.blogspot.com/2008/10/chocolate-chip-pumpkin-muffins.html

Link here for the pizza pockets (I used whole-wheat flour and put a ton of veggies in the sauce--just cooked them all down and then pureed them so there weren't any giant chunks): http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/05/4-weeks-to-fill-your-freezer-homemade-pizza-pockets-day-8.html

And last but not least, here are the carrot muffins:

Spiced Carrot-Raisin Muffins


2 ¼ cups white or whole wheat flour (best with WW)
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ginger
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cups plus 2 tsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp thawed frozen orange concentrate or 1 small orange, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 ½ cups shredded carrots
½ cup raisins


Preheat oven to 350. Spray 12 muffin pan cups or use cupcake liners.

Combine dry ingredients; mix well. In small bowl miss eggs, oil, and juice; pour into dry ingredients and mix until moistened. At this point I need to add more orange juice if I am using whole wheat flour. Stir in carrots and raisins. Divide equally between muffin cups. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes (until muffins are browned and a toothpick comes out clean). Remove muffins to wire rack and let cool. Great for trips and doubles well.


**I cut the recommended sugar in all these recipes by about a third. I also use tons of ginger and threw a couple of cans of mango puree into the carrot muffins.

Meghan said...

Can I request skipping the recipes and instructions and just having you mail the frozen muffins and pizza pockets to me in a styrofoam box with cold packs?

Emily Anne said...

you are amazing, rachael. that is all there is to it! a master in efficiency and household management. you inspire me!

xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails