Saturday, February 08, 2014

I remembered!

Today was a really grumpy day, and I only remembered about this post because I was thinking, gosh, I have GOT to start being more positive!

1) First of all, I am grateful for my mom. It's her birthday today and I love her so much. I am so grateful for her friendship and her love--she truly is one of my very very very best friends.

2) Our washer died an ignominious death today...it's been headed that way for years. Neil has repaired it so many times, but today he announced that the repair cost would be so substantial that we should just buy a new one. And while we were at it, we decided to replace our dryer (which has also been repaired many times and currently takes about 2-3 hours to dry a load).

So while I am not pleased about spending a giant chunk of cash on a new washer and dryer, I AM excited to have a new fancy-pants washer and dryer. Laundry has become the bane of my existence because it takes so incredibly long these days! And even more so, I am really grateful that I am irritated about the cost rather than devastated by it--I am so glad that we have a healthy savings account that can handle things like this.

3) Speaking of washer and dryer replacements, I was able to pass ours on to a friend who owns an appliance shop so that he can use them for parts. I'm happy about this because a) that good feeling that comes from doing a kindness to someone else and b) they will be gone a few days before the new ones arrive and this gives me a window of time to paint the walls & trim in the laundry room, which I have been putting off because the last time we did it it was a HUGE pain to have the washer and dryer in the middle of the hallway.

4) I am so grateful for a good husband who let me cry against his chest for a good ten minutes today without trying to fix anything or stop my crying--he just held me and let me cry myself out. The day had been so long--grocery shopping with two of the kids, the school carnival (which I dread every year), the washer's death--filled with clothes, might I add--right in the middle of everything, Neil's discovery that a taillight in the Jeep was shorting out the battery, a huge huge day-long battle with one particular child, raging hormones...so in the middle of all this when I finished purchasing the washer & dryer online, I came into the kitchen to find that Neil had started dinner, but NOT the way I was planning to do it, and I totally lost it and snapped at him and then instantly realized that what I had said (something like, "You never do anything right") was unfounded in reality, apologized immediately, and then burst into tears while he just held me and let me cry it out. He is the best thing in my life. 

5) I am grateful for my treadmill and the fact that I only have to run 10 miles tonight. It's freezing cold out there and there's like 2 feet of snow and I am just going to run inside while I watch a movie and thank my training plan that this is an easy week and I don't have to run 15 miles right now.

1 comment:

Sarah Harward said...

I got a new washer and dryer a year ago and let me tell you, I STILL love doing laundry in it! It washes/dries DOUBLE the amount and I just get a thrill every time I turn it on, which is impressive, because laundry is a chore I hate!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails