Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Olympic spirit


























1) So we had our first round of family Olympic events tonight--the wheelbarrow race! We did a few practice laps and then split off into heats. Juliet pretty much smoked everyone else, but Luke was like crazy talented. Honestly, if we were handicapping for age/size he would have won the whole thing by a landslide.  (Neil and I could barely make it six feet. I suddenly feel much weaker than my children...apparently I really need to work on my core!) Anyway, it was super fun and we're having quite entertaining discussions about the remaining events. Neil says we need to make some medals.

2) I was asked tonight to speak in church on Sunday. This is a good thing because the call came this evening just before bedtime, and tonight is literally the only time this entire week that I have free time to work on the talk. It's so nice when things work out like that.

3) I went to a parent meeting at Abigail's school tonight. It was a good reminder for me to see how incredibly hard she works every day and how much she is expected to do. I usually try to make it into the classroom at least every other week; with the rotten weather and my non-compliant baby I haven't been in since just before Thanksgiving. Again, it was good to be there and get the chance to catch up with her teacher and realize how much I really do benefit from spending time in her classroom, even if I'm just cutting out laminating or the like.

4) I had the chance to chat with a dear friend today. It's always such a treat when I get to talk with my friends who have moved away and realize that we can just pick up right where we left off.  Kindred spirits, as Anne would say.

5) I have a horrible habit of losing my chapstick. I have so many things of chapstick all around my house and I can never find them when I need them. The other night at like 2 AM I woke up and was frantically trying to find some chapstick in my nightstand and Neil bounded out of bed and came running back in and yelled something like, "to the rescue!" and handed me a brand-new tube of my very very favorite Burts' Bees original, which I never buy for myself because I think it is too expensive, UNLESS I am having a baby, and then I buy a single tube and put it in my hospital bag and save it until I am in labor. Anyway, long story, but I was so touched by his thoughtfulness and that chapstick is sitting right in front of me so I remembered that little story.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails