Thursday, March 27, 2014

Nathan is eleven months old


Eleven months old! (And never fear, I did trim that wild mad scientist mop of hair a few days after these pictures were taken. I probably would have let it go fluffy and darling forever but Neil gently told me that it was time to cut the baby mop and let him look more like a little boy.)




































At eleven months old, Nathan is pulling up, beginning to cruise along furniture, army-crawling all over the place to get what he wants (he is super fast at going from his tummy to sitting up and back again; he will take a few "crawls" forward on his hands and knees but quickly drops back down to his tummy), claps whenever he is happy, says "Mama" and "Dada" discriminately (especially when he has gotten himself stuck somewhere!) and is generally the sunshine of our lives.



We all adore him and I especially love to watch Abigail with him--she is so sweet with him and he gets super excited when she comes home from school! 







































We are still dealing with the same difficulties in getting Nathan to eat/drink enough. He has quit nursing except for once in the morning and occasionally once at night, and he has dropped down to about the 10th percentile for weight (still at 75th for height). Last week we met with his pediatrician, a dietician, a speech pathologist, and an occupational therapist to try to figure out what's going on with him. The diagnosis was that he has great muscle tone everywhere and just seems to have kind of a control complex about allowing things into his mouth, likely because of the severity of his reflux and our subsequent attempts to get him to take in enough calories. We have spent the last couple of weeks trying all sorts of different cups, bottles, sippies, etc. with different combinations of formula, milk, cream, half-and-half, juice, etc. in an attempt to keep him sufficiently hydrated, and today we finally had the most success we've had yet with chocolate milk (thank heavens my mom was grocery shopping with me and suggested it!). Right now he is on a high-calorie diet so we are basically adding butter and cream to everything he eats. I was trying to coax him to eat some ice cream after lunch today...he is on the diet we all wish we were eating!





































Anyway, all of that is still incredibly stressful but I am starting to feel cautiously optimistic. I am also meeting with a new doctor myself tomorrow and I am hoping that I can get some of my anxiety under control, since I am sure Nathan is picking up on that.




































Tonight Nathan woke up and was howling--I tried all the usual tricks and couldn't get him to calm down (he also quit taking his pacifier about three weeks ago so that's been pretty rough). Finally I tried nursing him and wonder of wonders that calmed him down! He fell asleep in my arms and it was so lovely to sit there with my beautiful little boy listening to the sound of his breathing and watching his long lashes fluttering against his cheeks. 



4 comments:

Ruth said...

He's so cute! Glad you found something that worked, and hopefully he realizes how lucky he is to have Haagen Dazs ice cream!

Kristin said...

I know how you feel, there were days that I cried at every meal with Madison because I wanted nothing more for her to eat. It was so stressful! I remember praying when she was 22 months and pleading with Heavenly Father to help her want to eat because we were 2 months away from having another child. It slowly, VERY slowly got better.. She still is around the 10th percentile for weight, but for ever she wasn't even on the charts and classified as failure to thrive

. She now eats by herself if it's a food she likes!!! Because we have had to force feed/put on a timer for 3 1/2 years, this is awesome. Madison also lived on chocolate milk/carnation instant breakfast with whipping cream, and still drinks it every day for breakfast. Hang in there!!!

Kim Davis said...


I don't know if this helps at all but Drew's doctors and neonataloligost are always more focused on height than weight as height is supposedly a better indicator that their body is appropriately distributing nutrients towards growth instead of adding fat. It might be different when they get older though? He is still rocking the 3rd percentile for both height and weight so I'm guessing there will be lots of chocolate milk in our future too. Feeding kids and keeping them healthy is seriously the most stressful thing because you can't make them do it. You literally just have to hope and pray that they do. Our growth struggles started before Drew was even out of the womb so I can definitely understand and relate to the anxiety associated with a child's nutrition!

Kayli said...

He is so so so so so so cute!!!! (Like all your children)

Related Posts with Thumbnails