Monday, April 28, 2014

Book Week: Fairy Tales & Myths




































One of the earliest book rules I made as a parent was that I would not read Disney books. I let the kids check them out at the library, but I just couldn't stand reading them--I always felt compelled to say, "Okay, this is what really happened to the Little Mermaid."  Over the years, we've filled our shelves with beautifully retold and illustrated versions of classic fairy tales and myths. You'll notice that this is quite heavily weighted towards my favorite illustrators! Most of these are picture books; I'm hoping to update it later with some of my favorite YA authors.

The majority of these are translations or retellings from the Bros. Grimm or Hans Christian Andersen; I have simply noted the name of translator or reteller so that you can more easily find the specific edition.

A word about illustrations: occasionally I will tape together pages that I think may give my children nightmares (i.e. the rose thicket full of thorns in The Sleeping Beauty). It's never seemed to bother them--occasionally I've had a kid ask about the illustration so we've slit the tape, looked at the pictures, and decided that they're kind of gross & taped them back up again.

Mythology:

Fairy Tales--focus on really really beautiful illustrations and a "truthful" retelling of the story (i.e., not Disney, so not all endings are happy!). 
Legends:


3 comments:

Kayli said...

I had not planned on spending a large chunk of my morning perusing storybooks, but it's always an enjoyable way to spend a day! :)

Amanda said...

Hi Rachael - I'm de-lurking here. Have you and your children read "Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story" (http://www.amazon.com/Yeh-Shen-A-Cinderella-Story-China/dp/0698113888)? It is the Chinese version of the Cinderella story and actually pre-dates the oldest European version of Cinderella that came out of Italy. A friend of mine gifted me this version in college and the illustrations are beautiful.

Also, one of my favorite storybooks as a child was "Sootface: An Ojibwa Cinderella Story" ( http://www.amazon.com/Sootface-Robert-D-San-Souci/dp/044041363X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398801811&sr=1-1&keywords=sootface). It also has very nice illustrations.

necia said...

This is awesome! Thanks for putting together this list. Now I just have to figure out a way to get all the books. :)

Since you love original fairy tales you guys should check these out. They were my favorite when I was a little girl.

http://www.amazon.com/Snow-White-Other-Stories-Grimms/dp/B000KHU6SY/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398908017&sr=8-1&keywords=grimm%27s+fairy+tales+by+Shirley+Goulden

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Other-Fairy-Tales-Brothers/dp/B000H8DKM0/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398908115&sr=8-2&keywords=the+golden+bird+randall+jarrell

Related Posts with Thumbnails