Wednesday, April 09, 2014

thinking

The last few days have been so insanely busy. I'm running my marathon this weekend (eep!!) and if I think about it I get all butterflies-in-my-stomach nervous. My parents are coming into town to watch our kids and my dear dear college roommate Jen is also flying in with her kids and we're going to get to spend a few days with them (can't wait to see her tomorrow!!). And our chicks grew WAY faster than we anticipated and they've completely outgrown the place where we have them (the kids' bathtub) and we have been working frantically for hours and hours every day to get their coop built (as in until 1 am the last few nights). And in the middle of all this I realized that I was not close to my painting goal--I have set goals for myself where every time someone comes to visit I have to have something new painted, because otherwise it will take me an eternity to paint all of the trim and walls in our home that need to be painted--so if I just break it into small chunks and plan to paint something before the next time someone comes to stay overnight, then it's manageable. Does that make sense (at least in my crazy way of making sense?). So anyway, I have been painting trim like a crazy woman the last few days, plus the girls started swimming lessons AND all of the regular stuff going on.

So. In the midst of all of this I had a temple recommend interview scheduled tonight. I painted all day and helped Neil build the coop when he got home and picked kids up from school and oversaw homework and piano practice and made dinner and drove kids to swimming and came home and started the pajama-ing process and then left for my interview. I was feeling pretty harried and just sort of caught up in the crazy and all of that. And then I met with the stake president, and he is just the most wonderful man. So kind and warm, and I am always so impressed that he not only knows me by name with all of the thousands of people in our stake, but also remembers what is interesting to me. In the course of our discussion, we talked about Neil's research and our graduation timeline and what my kids were up to, and then he asked me if I was training for a local race that's a pretty big deal and a lot of people in our area run it every year. I mentioned that I was focusing instead on my first marathon this weekend, and he spent another few minutes giving me some great advice for the race (he is an experienced marathoner). It meant so, so, so much to me that he took the time to talk to me about something so comparatively mundane, and it quieted so much of the nervousness I have been feeling about the race to hear his advice and suggestions, since he is someone that I really respect.

Anyway, I don't know where I am going with this, but I've just been thinking about it all night. I am so grateful for our amazing stake president and the love that I feel through him from my Savior--I am not forgotten in the many many people that both of them love and look after.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Good luck on the marathon! Don't think about all the other people; run your own race. And enjoy it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails