Friday, June 06, 2014

Foodie Friday back from a very long hiatus: Thai peanut soba noodles with stir-fried vegetables






























image

Most days I consider dinner a wild success if two out of my five children will eat it happily. Earlier this week, I sat down to sheer magic: all five of my kids gobbled up their dinner and asked when we could have it again. Of course, it was one of those ones that I'd just made up as I went along, so Neil told me to write it down right then before I forgot the proportions and could never again recreate it! So here it is--feel free to adjust the veggies according to your own preferences, but don't skip out on the soba noodles or delicious sauce! I had the leftovers for lunch the next day and it was even more mouth-watering (in fact, as I was eating it all the kids asked if we could have it again that night).

Thai peanut soba noodles with stir-fried veggies

Ingredients:
2 packages (and by this I mean those banded portions as shown in the photo) Japanese soba (buckwheat) noodles
3 large carrots, sliced into rounds
2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 red onion, sliced paper-thin
6-8 button mushrooms, sliced
1 T. fresh minced ginger
2 T. coconut oil
1 cooked chicken breast or extra-firm tofu, if you want extra protein--I had roasted some chicken earlier in the week so I sliced it up and mixed it in (roast unfrozen breasts at 350 for 30 minutes...so moist and delicious! I don't bother adding any seasoning. If you're using tofu, press it between two cutting boards weighted with something heavy--I use mixing bowls--for about 30 minutes and then cook it so it gets a sort of crunchy brown coating on the outside. Sometimes I just eat it plain & uncooked but I know that's weird.)

**This is just what I had on hand--things like zucchini, snow peas, and mung bean sprouts would all have gone in had they been available!

Garnishes:
Grated coconut
Peanuts
Chopped cilantro (1/4 c. or so--I love cilantro!)

Sauce:1/2 c. natural peanut butter
1 T. agave nectar
1.5-2 T. Thai Kitchen green curry paste
enough milk to thin it into a slurry--I used whole milk but coconut milk would be preferable!

Preparation
1) Prep all of the vegetables before beginning--this will cook quickly so you'll want to have everything ready to go!

2) Cook the soba noodles according to the package directions, then rinse in cool water so the noodles are no longer hot.

3) Melt the coconut oil in a large frying pan or wok. Stir-fry the red onion and ginger together for 3-4 minutes, then add mushrooms. Stir-fry for another 2 minutes, then add carrots and broccoli for an addition 3 minutes.

4) Pour the sauce over the vegetables and stir to coat thoroughly, then add the vegetables to the cooled noodles. Garnish with cilantro and serve with coconut and peanuts so that each diner can add them according to taste--yum yum!


P.S. Remember when I actually used to blog about food? Yeah, me too. You can find past Foodie Fridays by clicking on the label at the bottom of this post, or go to my sadly neglected recipe blog here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails