Monday, June 02, 2014

Playing catch-up

 As we're heading into a busier time, I thought I should catch up on photo posting before I'm too far behind. This photo of Luke pretty much exemplifies how we spent our last few days before school ended--soaking up the quiet! (And playing with older sisters' toys when they weren't home.)

On that note, I keep seeing people making passing comments about how they don't want to hear anyone's complaints about how crazy it is having their kids home, etc. etc.

Guess what--it is totally crazy. I love my children and I love spending time with them, but boy howdy, they get loud, and they all want my attention, but nobody wants to listen to me! It's hard when you're adjusting to a new summer schedule. Fingers crossed that we all fall into our routines quickly and I don't have many more days that are as exhausting as this one, because it wore me out completely. So if you're already wondering how you're going to survive the rest of the summer...you are not alone! And we will prevail. :-) (Confession: I spent a significant portion of time today thinking that I might need to double my antidepressant dose. It's been rocky for me lately.)

 I'm finally getting around to posting pictures of the finished chicken coop. Isn't it beautiful? Neil did an incredible job with its design and construction. My help was mostly limited to pounding in nails where he said to pound them. I did paint everything after it was finished (the rooster silhouette is also painted, rather than vinyl).
 The chickens are getting big big big! Much bigger than they look in this photo, since I was at a weird angle, but they still have lots of growing to do.

Here's a shot of the whole thing--the end of the run that isn't flush with the rest of it does go down until it sits flush, but I left it up a bit in the photo to show what I was talking about--anyway, that whole end piece (the end panel and then the top panel where it attaches) are hinged so they fold back on each other for easier access into the run. There is another door into the run that is the one the kids usually use (and me too), and then the chickens have their own door, the people have a door, etc. There is a screened window (which you can't see in the photo) as well as the screened vent just above the nesting boxes. The windows, vent, and nesting boxes are all hinged for easy access; the panels just under the nesting box and the door into the coop are hinged to conceal the pull-out drawers that allow you to clean the coop quickly and easily.


 And speaking of projects, I am finally finally happy with the living room and officially finished with it! I love it so much and it is such a nice peaceful room that reflects my tastes and our family's needs. I love it (and that rug is soooo soft and comfy!).
 The boys and I took a quick trip to visit extended family--Luke had a great time eating an afternoon snack of ice cream cones with Grandpa!
 We spent one fun morning at our favorite local museum...




And I loved loved loved cuddling this sweet little niece of mine! She is such a doll and has the cutest little personality--all sunshine and love.


Evelyn introduced my boys to Shaun the Sheep...


...and they introduced her to Design 'n Drill.


One day I walked into the kitchen and found this. In hindsight, I'm kind of amazed that he is the first child to do this!


I have some really darling videos of Natie laughing and rocking on his horse. The boys are so good about riding with him--he just thinks it's the most amazing thing ever!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails