Sunday, August 03, 2014

Harry Potter party, take II



So you remembered that July 31st was Harry Potter's birthday, right? (It's a totally legit holiday.) We had so much fun celebrating it last year that I thought we better recreate the experience this year!

I posted a note on Facebook inviting anyone who was interested to a potluck lunch--we kept it pretty low-key but it was so delightful! I always forget how much I thrive on the opportunity to interact with friends, and my children do too. We've been more social in the last couple of weeks than we've been all summer (the kids have had three or four playdates and I was able to slip away to have lunch with friends one day) and it makes such a difference.
 

The kids & I did most of the prep on Wednesday night--which was good because later that night I ran in a 12K trail race and ended up with a killer attack of plantar fascitis! (I'm attributing it to the fact that the trail terrain was deep sand/slippery mud interspersed with giant roots and downed trees, so it was very tricky technically and I ended up running the last 4 miles after my foot turned into a giant knife of pain--not ideal but there wasn't any way to stop, since it was out in the woods without aid stations and only 29 people in the whole race.)

Anyway, the kids ended up doing most of the decorations and I thought they did a wonderful job!


It was so fun to see what everyone brought--I loved all the creativity! We had Hogwarts House Sandwiches, Licorice Wands, Pumpkin Pasties, Hagrid's Rock Cakes, Cockroach Cluster, Newts' Eyes, Cauldron Cakes, Bertie Bott's Ever Flavor Beans, Jelly Slugs, Pumpkin Juice, Caramel-Chocolate Wands, Pumpkin Custard, and Dragon Scales. (I printed out labels for the ones I knew about in advance and then made a few blank labels so people could fill them in when they arrived with their treat.)


 And, of course, the best part was the chance to just hang out with a bunch of fun women and chat for a few hours while our kids played together. I felt so rejuvenated afterwards (especially since it gave me the chance to sit down with some ice on my foot!). So much fun and I was so glad that everyone could fit it into their busy summer schedules.

After our guests went home we put Tot down for a nap and then snuggled up together to watch the first Harry Potter movie. When we got to the part where the trolley witch comes by on the Hogwarts Express Jules & Abigail paused the movie and ran out to the kitchen to get a selection of Hogwarts-style treats. They were SO excited about being able to eat the exact same thing that Ron and Harry were eating--I loved their enthusiasm and joy!

And we finished out our evening by going to a magic show at our local library. It was a great day and one of those ones where I was pretty impressed with myself as a cool creative mom (although I love our pajama-clad Lego days too!!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails