Friday, February 13, 2015

February 13th

Missed yesterday! So doubling up today.

1) Last month, as I mentioned previously, I worked a ton of hours and brought in some unanticipated extra income. Neil and I were discussing putting a substantial portion of it towards something we'd been wanting for a couple of years, but it wasn't actually a need, and I was having a hard time pulling the trigger on it because it just seemed like so much money to spend on something that I wasn't dying without--we'd decided weeks earlier to go ahead and yet I still had to make the purchase. Then this week we recognized that someone else we knew really needed that money and we gave it to them instead, and I was just so, so, so grateful for the opportunity to let the Lord work through me to bless someone else. I definitely felt like it was the Lord's money and not mine, and had a very strong confirmation that it was intended to go to this particular person and that we were just the conduit.

2) I've run four days in a row this week and my plantar fascia are not killing me! Yippee!! This is so huge and I am totally crediting glucosamine chondroitin with the improvement (that's one of the side benefits of running with a friend who has a Ph.D. in nursing!).

3) Yesterday I hosted book group. I was super super stressed about it beforehand and it was SUCH a relief to actually just get to the time and be able to focus on enjoying the company of my friends instead of stressing about the cleanliness of my house and tastiness of the food (I will say, however, that I thought the food was pretty awesome--I made a flourless chocolate torte, a lemon poppyseed cake with fresh lemon glaze, this decadent cranberry salad (the only thing I've ever made with mini marshmallows, but they are just perfect in it because they sort of melt in), fresh hummus with carrots, peppers, and sugar snap peas, and then I baked baguettes during our discussion and served them hot with Brie). Yum yum yum.

4) Book group again because it was so nice to talk with friends for five hours. :-)

5) Tonight was "Greece Night" (one of the things we're doing as a family this year is researching one country each month and then eating at a restaurant serving that country's cuisine. Everyone has to present at least one fact they learned about that country during the course of the meal. Our original plan was just to cook the meals at home and then I came to my senses and realized hey wait, this is going to be sooooo much more enjoyable if I don't have to cook 10 different things to give everyone a sense of the regional cuisine). So we went to a local Greek restaurant and dazzled each other with our knowledge of Greek geography, culture, history, and cuisine, and two of our five kids ate everything on their plates, two of them at least tried everything on their plates, and Nathan did whatever it is that he did where I don't actually know how much he ate so he had toast and a fried egg when we got home. Anyway--we ordered saganaki, which they flamed at our table while the waiter was yelling "OPA!" and Nathan screamed SO LOUDLY when he saw the flame spurt that we all started laughing and made him cry even more. (I felt kind of bad for the couple at the next table, because they just flamed theirs in the kitchen, which frankly I think is kind of a rip-off, but they didn't seem to mind, so...)

6) Jules had about a thousand kilowatts of excess energy, so I made the last hour before bedtime tonight into a whole bunch of family games. We divided up into teams (the Poopsies and the BrainCrushers...guess who picked those names) and competed with SO MUCH ENERGY in the Lincoln Log Challenge (your team gets a point for building a Lincoln Log tower higher than 15 logs high before Nate knocks it over), the human wheelbarrow race, jumping and leapfrog contests, and wound up taking turns dancing around wearing a baggie full of pom-poms tied to our waists with a small hole cut in the side--basically the point is that you have to jump around a wiggle like crazy to get all the pom-poms to fall out. I wish I'd taken a video of both Neil and Nathan's turns. Too great!

7) Luke had a playgroup this morning and I loved getting the chance to chat with my friends while the kiddos played. Always so restorative!

8) I got to talk on the phone today with one of my dear dear friends who moved away last year. I miss her so much and it was wonderful to talk with her!!

9) Today I made a couple of quick stops at the homes of people I've been thinking about lately. I didn't do anything major, but I gave them some little gifts and it was such a good reminder to me that I am happiest when I am reaching out to those around me and letting them know that I care about them.

10) I spent half an hour singing to and rubbing the back of the child with whom I have been knocking heads most frequently lately. It was a good time for both of us to connect and remember that we really do love each other underneath all of the differences of opinion. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this. You guys are such a cool family! I liked the idea of the country thing. -Elise

Related Posts with Thumbnails