Monday, June 01, 2015

Memorial Day & the end of school






































We were lucky enough to round out our 11 days of family time with a nice long visit with my dad. He drove down Friday night and watched our kids while we ran a half-marathon...and then kept on doing fun things with them all day while we limped around! I honestly think it was the most exhausted I've ever been after a race; I definitely felt worse than after last year's full marathon. I'd been averaging about five hours of sleep a night for the preceding couple of weeks (glorious to have family visiting but probably not the best for my race training) and then the night before the race it seemed like Nathan was up ALL NIGHT LONG. So I was super happy to finish...and to buy some new shoes, haha! (More details here if you're into that sort of thing.) It was kind of weird because the whole time I was just viewing it as training prep for my fall marathon--which I am super excited/a little scared about since I am doing a way harder training program than I used last time. Eeek!

 


Anyway, so while we were running, my dad was making baking soda volcanoes with the kids. When we got home, they were just heading to the store to buy all of the ingredients for more volcanoes and slime, which they spent most of the rest of the day making, and my dad was the total hero of the weekend! He is so much fun and I am so glad that we live close enough to my parents for the kids to get to really know and enjoy their grandparents. Nobody--and I mean NOBODY--tells stories with the same dramatic flair that my dad does; I remember his stories as being the most thrilling things ever (he's a very talented actor and it really comes through in his stories--each different character looks different as well as sounds different), and my kids definitely feel the same way!

On Sunday Neil made this delicious dinner. I've probably said it a hundred times but I love Neil's Sunday dinners. My favorite day of the week!! This one was sweet-and-sour pork (but yesterday he made me my very favorite peanut and coconut satay so I'm still licking my lips when I think about that dinner!)


On Monday morning we went to the little zoo and the kids had the time of their lives with all of the newborn goats. Soooo cute. 





I really, really, really wanted to bring a kid home (a goat kind; I have enough people kind). Apparently the zoo IS looking for homes for these kids but Neil nixed that one without even thinking twice. Someday when we have more land...(actually, pigs will be first. Have I ever blogged about our childhood pigs, who had such regal names as Sir Francis Bacon and Olivia de Roast?)

Nathan is super obsessed right now with "trackers, bull-dodododododzers, and ex-cah-waders" (tractors, bulldozers, and excavators) so this was a huge hit.


And then we watched a delightful little parade, played on the playground, then my dad treated us to a picnic lunch and we went to ANOTHER playground, and then Dad went home and we spent the day doing a gazillion hours of yard work and went for our first post-race run and then my legs felt normal again. :-)


Funny little bathtub boys one day last week...


On the last day of school, we filled our backyard with people and had our annual end-of-school-beginning-of-summer ice cream extravaganza. As always, I forgot to take pictures after the first five minutes and as always, it was a total delight. We had a fabulous turnout and a really wonderful three hours hanging out with friends and eating ice cream.






































Here are the only two pictures I took--right after this about 25 people came all at once and so I set the camera down and then forgot about it for the rest of the night. I think we had 60-70 people there so I was having too much fun talking!



I did, however, take a few photos after all of our guests had gone home and we were cleaning up. First bubble lights of the season!!




 And a few pictures that should have gone into a previous post, I suppose, but here they are now. Nathan trying on Isaac's kindergarten mortarboard...





































And this one made me laugh so much! Everyone in Isaac's class made a little graduating person out of construction paper and hung it up in the hallway outside their class. They were all super happy and smiley except for Isaac's; he told me that he thought it was silly to put a happy face on his person when he was sad for the end of kindergarten. I love the sad face that he drew. So tragic and so funny at the same time.






































And some springtime (one is rhubarb, one is strawberry, and n'er the twain shall meet until one mixes them on one's plate) pies that I made yesterday. I'm really cutting back on sugar in preparation for marathon training (I want to lose some weight AND my plantar fasciitis doesn't bother me nearly as much if I don't eat sugar) so I suppose this photo is just to torment me and remind me that the leftovers are in my fridge, but I'm not going to eat them!


1 comment:

Meghan said...

What wonderful memories you're making for your family! It all sounds delightful, and I'm looking forward to seeing you soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails