Friday, November 04, 2016

Fall Books



I'm pretty sure that there is no better way to spend an afternoon than curled up reading stories with my favorite little people. I'm working on updating all our favorites lists {here} but I thought I'd feature my four favorite fall books today! In the past I've just made lists but so many people have asked me which ones I REALLY love and why that I thought some posts like these were warranted...especially because I really love these books so much. I'm going to try to start doing posts like this with the books that I think are must-haves. :-)

First up is A Turkey for Thanksgiving. This one is so charming--Mr. Moose sets out to ensure that his wife has a turkey at the table for Thanksgiving dinner. Other guests come along on the hunt, but Turkey doesn't want to come! (It turns out happily for all involved.) The illustrations in this book are beautiful (all the animals are bedecked in their Scandinavian finest), but it's the words that really evoke the stark beauty of November: "The earth smelled of ice and moss as they crunched along. Above them a crow hung, black as a puff of wood smoke."






































After you read Applesauce Season, you're definitely going to want to make homemade applesauce--good thing there's a recipe in the back! (It's a good one...we've used it lots of times!) I love all the family traditions that are apparent in this book--a little boy, his mother, and his grandmother make applesauce together every week after selecting apples in the farmer's market, while his father makes all kinds of "good things" to eat with the applesauce--latkes, crepes, applesauce cake...




Fair warning--after reading Sophie's Squash, your children may insist (as mine do) on naming every squash you ever buy or grow. (My back porch currently has 5 named butternut friends lined up waiting for their pals to get home from school.) This book is absolutely charming--little Sophie falls in love with a squash, names her Bernice, and they go everywhere together until one day Bernice starts to show her age! She's spotty! Her somersaults lack their usual style! Fortunately, Sophie knows just how to ensure that their friendship can last forever. 





One of the books I recall most strongly from my own childhood, Sarah Morton's Day describes life for an 8-year-old Pilgrim girl. It was photographed in the recreated Plimouth Plantation, and my kids love all the details about how many petticoats Sarah puts on every morning, or the fact that she has to work "muck" into the garden as one of her chores. This doesn't gloss over the hardships of Pilgrim life (Sarah's father died during a hard winter and her mother has remarried), but it's optimistic overall and absolutely fascinating. Don't miss the sequels describing life for a Pilgrim boy and a Wampanoag boy.

And there you have it--our four favorites. Happy reading!





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails