Saturday, February 18, 2017

Eighteen


We had crazy warm weather today--mid sixties! The girls and I went for a run this morning through the woods. Poor Abigail didn't enjoy it so much; we think she stepped on a really sharp rock and her foot bothered her for the last half of the run, but she was a good sport and hung in there! Juliet was super excited about this because one of her goals this year was to run a 5k, so we made it happen today! (Abigail opted out of the photo.) It was really nice to have some alone time with my girls this morning--they always ask me to tell them stories from my childhood, so we revisited a lot of stories this morning and the girls made sure to pick some cattails for their brothers (our backyard looks like it snowed!) And we enjoyed our first popsicles of the year--crazy!

After I fed Matthew, we headed to the library. Juliet really wanted to bike over there, so I ran alongside her while she biked; Neil was a good sport and drove the other kids (normally he works while we hit the library, so I was really grateful that he took the time to come today!). We picked up our February Family Read Aloud prizes and a huge sack of books, then Juliet and I biked/ran home (8.3 miles total for me today, so it ended up being a pretty good running day, and got me up to 42.3 for the week! These days my Saturday runs are some of my shortest since I don't want to infringe on family time, so this was a nice little mileage boost). 



We had a great night tonight just enjoying the gorgeous warm weather--Neil built a fire and we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. We played baseball and soccer and just generally had a really great evening together. It was absolutely lovely. Everyone was cheerful and happy and delighted to be spending time together. And everyone was so worn out by the end of the day--we played hard!! The kids were outside for 90% of the day and I kept saying, "Can you believe this is February? Last year we were skiing on this weekend!"

One more good thing: this is my worst grading week of the semester because my biggest projects were turned in last night. I dread this so much because it always makes me kind of anxious all the time until it's done--so yesterday I was like, I'm just going to have one HORRIBLE day of grading and try to pound it out and get it over with, and so I graded every free minute that I could (the warm weather helped a lot with that since the kids wanted to play outside after school) and stayed up super late working after the kids were in bed, and I only have 4 left to do tonight now that everyone is in bed! And that will make Monday so much more enjoyable (kids have no school that day).

And we had our first popsicles & homemade lemonade of the year. I was so parched from running in the wind and gosh, I don't think anything could have been as delicious as that Outshine strawberry rhubarb bar!!!



2 comments:

Melanie said...

Hi, Rachael! I know this is really random, but I found your blog several years ago when you did a guest post on the Bloom blog. I was really impressed by you, and then one day I realized, "Hey, that's Rachael Decker!" My family lived in the Kalamazoo stake when I was in high school, and I remember your family! Of course, you probably have no idea who I am because I was always too shy and intimidated by your beauty to ever introduce myself. After we both graduated, our younger sisters (my sister, Stephanie, and your sister, Elise) and our mothers became good friends (my mom is Linda Halling). Anyways, every couple months I randomly jump on and find your blog again, and I just wanted to let you know that I think you are an amazing woman and mother! You inspire me to be better, and I have many similar interests that you do (running, cooking, gardening, reading, etc). Now, I really wish that I'd introduced myself years ago, but you know, those insecure teenage years always have some regrets. So, keep up the good and noble work you're doing with that beautiful family, and maybe someday we'll meet up and I'll officially introduce myself :)

Rachael said...

Melanie, thank you so much for your sweet comment!!! Totally made my day. :-) I visit-taught your mom for a few months when we lived in St. Joe right after my oldest daughter was born (my husband did a summer internship with Whirlpool) and I have fond memories of how much your family reached out to welcome us--I was so lonely that summer and they really did their best to make me feel a little more at home. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet up sometime in the future!

Related Posts with Thumbnails