Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Matthew is five months old & Isaac's half-birthday party


Well, I pretty much dropped the ball on the last few Five for February posts, but the truth is that Matthew got sick and basically quit sleeping--and I was already so sleep-deprived that I turned into a zombie. But he's five months old now! And look at those chubberly little cheekies! (Trying to include myself in more photos, even when I look as tired as I feel!)

And I have to say, a really good way to avoid feeling sorry for yourself when everyone is sick--because now all the rest of the kids are sick--and you're only sleeping in small forty-minute chunks--is to read about the Holocaust. I started reading Rose Under Fire (sort of a sequel to Code Name Verity) and gosh, it was such a pageturner that it was the perfect thing to read when I was just rocking Matthew all night desperately hoping that he would get enough sleep AND reminded me that my problems are so tiny and insignificant in the grand scheme of things, and that I am hugely blessed to be able to take the time to just sit rocking my baby.


Not sure if you can tell in these photos, but his little eyes are all swollen! Neil's eyes always get really swollen when he has a cold, and all six of our kids inherited that...poor little weepy-eyed crew.

We're doing a lot of milk-mixed-with-oatmeal right now and he is starting to enjoy it.




































And I think Isaac's party last week was a success!! Five little friends joined us and we carried out Isaac's planned party (although we had to scrap the outdoor obstacle course as it was rainy and cold). He wanted a treasure hunt that finished at a Darth Vader pinata, a cake with his name on it, superhero games (we tied green balloons to everyone's feet and called it the Hulk Stomp--basically you tried to pop everyone else's balloon without getting yours popped), and to paint canvases like we did at Juliet's party. Neil and I were both laughing because it was SUCH a boy party--loud, loud, loud (especially when they started playing basketball, which is funny because we got an indoor over-the-door hoop for Christmas and our kids could not care less about it, but Isaac's friends LOVED it...and Isaac still didn't care about it even when they were playing; he just started working on Legos! We're working on that because both of us LOVE basketball and we've got to get our kids equally in love with it!) and we just could not believe how much pizza all those kids put away! Fun times.


And that wraps up this series. And as always, my favorite things of the day are the little things that happen every day--cooking dinner with a child, listening to everyone's goodies and baddies around the dinner table, cuddling up to read stories, and seeing my children learn and grow.

1 comment:

Elise Gray said...

I can't believe how much older Matthew looks! I can almost imagine what he is going to look like in 5 years (based on how your other kids look), and I'm so sorry you all are so sick. That is seriously the worst. Also, I just have to say, Code Name Verity did a number on me when I read it. My mind was blown. Rose Under Fire was less impactful for me, but I still can't get over Code Name Verity.

Related Posts with Thumbnails