Wednesday, June 13, 2012

hiking in the Smokies


Okay, friends.  This is the point where I started to feel really sick to my stomach again about the missing camera.  I took SO MANY awesome photos.  And they are gone.  Don't get me wrong, I am so glad that my parents were snapping some too, but...they aren't as crazily obsessed with teetering on mossy rocks to capture every single nondescript moment as I am (plus we had THE MOST PERFECT family photo--like Christmas card quality, if I did that sort of thing--out on some rocks in the middle of the river.  And it's gone. Gone, gone, gone.
(And I still haven't worked myself up to replacing it yet.)

                 




In any case, the first full day we were there, we got up bright and early (like 5:30 bright and early, which I was SO not planning on, but hey, turns out that when there are 4 kids in unfamiliar beds and it's the first day of vacation...you get to get an early start.  Which is good, because we trusted to the GPS and it ended up taking us a full 2 hours to do a 25-minute drive.  I count myself lucky that only one kid threw up on that twisty odyssey.  It was seriously one for the books--like almost nightmarish!  At one point I honestly wondered if we were going to make it down the mountain before our car used up a full tank of gas, because our cabin--while very lovely (as pictured below from their website)--was also quite isolated, and the roads were tiny and winding and deceptive and beautiful.  (Let's just say that my daydream of sunrise runs through the mountains around our cabin were abruptly scotched when I realized that the hairpin curves, 70-degree inclines, and pervasive mist would result in squashed runner).  But the cabin itself was gorgeous and absolutely everything I was hoping for!


two seconds after this picture was taken, Juliet's head hit me in the face and left me with an awesome shiner for the rest of the week.




































Anyway, when we finally finally finally got to the park, we did a couple of hikes.  To be honest with you, I was kind of disappointed in the hiking.  I should have had different expectations, given that it's the most-visited national park in the country, but I was sort of expected little winding trails, rather than asphalt.  But I digress.  We did drive up to Clingman's Dome on our way out and it was breathtaking--absolutely breathtaking.  Google it!


We walked along an old railroad bed near a river. It was beautiful.

And then we hiked (and this was an actual hike--a good 3 miles with a very steep incline) to a gorgeous waterfall, of which I took about fifty pictures with my kids clambering around in the foreground, and which I really wish I could share with you.  Fortunately my mom got one of the falls themselves.

But I do have lots of photos of my kiddies!  Aren't they cute with their little fanny packs?


 So my dad seriously took about 15 shots of our family here, and he finally said, "I thought if I just kept taking them I would get a good one...but I guess we're done!"  Yikes.  This was post-hike and the kids all were hot and itchy and bug-bitten, and I sort of look like I got hit by a two-by-four (my black eye is starting to take shape, but you can see that part of my face is sort of distorted-looking...from the side I had a bump on my profile!)

But Jules, as ever, is darling.



1 comment:

Emily Anne said...

SO sorry about your camera - such a bummer. Looks like a beautiful place and lots of fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails