Tuesday, June 19, 2012

of updates...

I can't believe we're already into the fourth week of summer break!  Time, as always, is flying by.  I realized the other day that I've spent four consecutive Friday nights sleeping somewhere other than my own bed.  Lots of exciting traveling!  Here are some snippets from the last few weeks, in no particular order:
  • Abigail, Juliet, and Isaac all did a two-week session of swimming lessons.  Isaac hated the whole thing and refused to progress beyond sitting on the side of the pool (he called his teachers "my kids" and would say things like,"my kids dey tell me get in dah wahder, but I just tell my kids I fink I will sit on dee side."  Of course, when we went to the pool last night for family home evening he LOVED it and spent two hours jumping in, paddling around, and "sticking my head unner wahder!"  Go figure.  Abigail and Jules are like little fishies; Abigail is dog-paddling quite well and Juliet is endlessly anxious to practice her head-bobs and "alligator snaps" (precursors to the standard crawl stroke).
  • A couple of weeks ago I took the kids up to spend the weekend with my parents.  While we were there, I met with my mom's magical personal trainer, who released my IT bands and diagnosed what was going on with my knee.  After a horrible and painful and miserable six months, I am FINALLY running comfortably again!  I can't even express to you how wonderful and miraculous this is for me--I've spent so many weeks in emotional and physical agony over this (at the end I would start to choke up whenever I even thought about how awful running was).  I went running the night I met with her and I was running the hills and trails around my parents' house (narrowly avoiding 3 bounding deer in the process) and I felt so grateful to be able to actually call myself a runner again.  I still have a long way to go to get back to where I was, but I've made a lot of progress.  My last two 5-milers have felt fabulous, which is really saying something!
  • Last week we did learning day on Egypt, and for our craft later in the week we built a funerary tomb out of a shoebox.  We decorated the walls with heiroglyphics and burial drawings (which I freehanded while looking at a bunch of actual tomb photographs) and the kids made a whole set of figures out of modeling clay, which included some watchful god statues, a mummy, a grave robber, a table bearing funerary offerings, and snakes which were about to devour the grave robber.  I love those kids.  This week we are talking about precious gems in preparation for a trip later in the week to the Field Museum.
  • We bought a trampoline!!  We've been debating this for a couple of years and we finally decided that it could be a really good thing for some of our kids to work out extra physical energy (read: Abigail). We've had it for one measly week but already I am such a fan of it.  This morning, for instance, we had some real crankiness and fighting going on, so I sent the culprits outside while I made breakfast, and voila!--everyone was beautifully behaved after a vigorous 10 minutes of furious jumping.  
  • I am taking a watercolor class in a couple of weeks!  Super excited!!
...and I was going to write a lot more, but my cute sister Elise just called, so now I'm done.  :-)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails