Tuesday, March 25, 2008

my happy place

When I was a freshman, I was on the Residence Halls Council (which is the group who plans all the activities specifically for people who live in the residence halls on campus, like the dances or barbeques, etc.) It was pretty stressful and required a TON of time, so one day our regular planning meeting was substituted for a session on relaxation and meditation. We all stretched out on the floor, closed our eyes, and found our "happy place." I don't remember what my happy place was then, but I'll tell you what my happy place is now: kneading bread on my kitchen table with the afternoon sunlight pooling on the floor (the dining room gets the morning sunlight, but it's just not the same in the morning...afternoon is best). The walls are painted my favorite color, the hutch is filled with interesting cookbooks, specialty ingredients, my very favorite tablecloths, placemats, and napkins, plus my growing stash of magazines like Martha Stewart Living, Bon Appetit, Gourmet, and Domino. It's the most calm and peaceful place in my entire house, and I love just standing at that table, kneading bread, with my eyes closed and basking in the sunlight.

(you'll probably have to click to enlarge it).



What's your happy place? Where do you feel most calm and centered?

7 comments:

Katrina said...

love it! Right now my happy place is probably my bed. It is so deliciously comfortable. Especially when I have my snuggle buddy in it. :-)

Kathryn Cooper said...

I have lots of happy places, but recently we planted a garden. My happy place is working outside in the garden with Colt. He teaches me all kinds of stuff I didn't know since I never grew a garden growing up. It's extra happy if Tyson's napping because then we don't have to keep him out of fire ant beds or the poison on the fire ant beds.

Mack Hardy said...

My happy place? In front of 4 computer screens, each with a different NCAA tournament game playing...

And I like the fancy picture editing. Windows Paint, I presume? Sad thing is that I'm stuck using the same thing for our show website! Cheap corporation...

Rachael said...

windows paint...however did you guess? i actually just debated buying photoshop with my husband tonight, but couldn't really come up with a real reason to buy it.

Autumn said...

My happy place is either in bed or doing fun stuff on the computer. :) I love your spot for napkins. What a cute way to store them. I also like your kitchen hutch. I've been looking around and eyeing them for months...but haven't given in to the financial breaking of the bank yet.

Mack Hardy said...

PS Still awaiting to become a "friend in real life"... I'm pretty translucent, but I am real! ;D

Rachael said...

you're a real friend now. :-) i am really awful about updating my links, so thanks for the reminder!

Related Posts with Thumbnails