also on the menu this weekend--"green garden soup" (my mom's recipe) with zucchini, beans, and leeks. it is absolutely heavenly. and I'm thinking about trying my hand at polenta with chunky tomato and feta sauce, and let's not forget paninis with fresh pesto, mozzarella, and tomatoes, plus a luncheon quiche with leeks and...more tomatoes!

image via Amazon.com
don't you love tomato time? What's making this absolutely fantastic for me this year is that I just picked up a copy of Anna Thomas's The New Vegetarian Epicure, which focuses on the way I love to cook: tons of fresh fruits and vegetables, and no attempts to recreate meat-like dishes with tofu or tempeh. Just celebrating the plants!! I also love that it's more gourmet-style cooking with really inventive, creative, and tasty dishes--so many vegetarian cookbooks seem to focus on kind of bland things that aren't very exciting to cook. I would seriously recommend this cookbook even if you aren't a vegetarian--it's just so tasty and amazing and inspiring!
4 comments:
I'm so jealous of your garden! I hate the desert!
I can't wait to hear about the ratatouille. We had black bean soup and jalapeno-cheese cornbread from the same cookbook, thank you very much. The cornbread was tasty, but the black beans stayed hard, meaning they were not fresh, even though I just bought them yesterday. Hmph. But I also made pico de gallo, and Dad dumped quite a bit of that on his soup and said it was delicious.
Oh I heart tomatoes!! Tomato sandwiches, BLT's...fried tomatoes....yum!
All of this food sounds SO good--I need the recipe for polenta and tomato/feta cheese sauce. I'm sort of obsessed with feta cheese. Zoe cracks me up. She loves tomatoes, which she calls "apples" and will pick one up and just start eating it like an apple.
Post a Comment