Thursday, August 04, 2011

fall planning

I've been kind of a zombie the last few days--Neil has a pretty nasty case of shingles, which means he can't go anywhere near Luke and so the nights have been rough (for me, at least--Neil is getting lots of blissful sleep.  Lucky!!).  But today was my rest day from running, and I actually took a nap, and I feel SO much better!  (Plus we had some friends over this morning and then a lunch get-together afterwards, and I always feel so much better after a few hours chatting with friends.  Never underestimate the power of just talking to other adults who are also in the Trenches of Motherhood).

So I finally felt like I could tackle some things that have been nagging at me, like actually answering emails and figuring out which books I want to give away and reorganizing the girls' closet (for some reason I have been keeping all their dresses hanging up, and it was really sad folding them all up and boxing them for the first time ever.  I hope we have at least one more girl so I can dress up a chubby little darling in those sweet ruffles again).  And I've been making some plans for fall--I'm a little worried because we decided not to put Juliet in preschool.  I just didn't like the idea of her being gone three or four mornings times a week (while I would have loved to do a Joy School, I couldn't find anyone else to do it!  Oh well).  So I feel like I need to have some good concrete plans and activities, and I've been researching classes for both girls and trying to figure out schedules and playgroups and whatnot.

In the midst of all of this, I'm thinking that I want to sign myself up for something too.  Every so often I like to take some new classes (strangely this always seems to coincide with having a new baby...I guess I feel like I really need some self-enrichment!)  In the past I've taken yoga and quilting classes, both of which I really enjoyed and ended up incorporating into my "regular" life. 

I'm thinking this fall about taking ballet classes.  I haven't done any ballet classes since I was seven, and I'm a little nervous about the idea (mostly because I would feel very self-conscious about my not-dancer's body) but I think it could be fun.  Or I could learn some new music--I used to play the piano really well, but I haven't seriously practiced in a long time.  I'd also love to take cooking technique classes, but I don't know if any exist around here...or some practical sewing classes or something like that.  Or flower-arranging, or interior design.  So many possibilities!  I may have to check out online classes too, since I know you can do correspondence courses in things like sourdough (for real.  I think that would be so cool!) 

If you could take a class in anything, what would you choose?

9 comments:

Julianne said...

Clogging (like tap dancing only louder). I really want to take a clogging class.

Ruth said...

I am going to try to get into a beginning clothing construction class for this fall. Perks of tuition benefits!

Jolena said...

I'm just dreaming about taking classes right now, but all of those options sound fantastic. I'm still trying to figure out how to raise one kid, plus run a house, plus figure out how to use my degree to work a bit on the side to help make ends meet rather than doing the random side transcriptions job I have currently. I have no idea how you do that with four and can still think about taking a class. :) But go enjoy any of those options and then tell us all about it!

Meghan said...

I've been thinking about this, but each time I get ready to comment, I think "I'm too tired to think about this right now. I'll wait until I can get more excited about the idea of doing something new."
So far my most exciting plans for the fall have been to start a playgroup for my friends who have no kids at home (at least during the day). Maybe some adventure and maybe some service.

Rachel Mae said...

I have loved, loved taking tap--it's so much fun, such good exercise, and no dancer's body needed :). I would love to take a class in Illustrator, which I have to use all the time at work but have never been formally trained in. And I also miss talking about books with people in lit classes.

Kritta22 said...

I would lOve toget my nursing degree. Im totally a nerd and lovee school. But my nursing degree has to wait until our last is in school.
For a fun class I would love to take cooking or cake decorating. Or maybe card making.

Chad said...

I'd like to find the time/money to work with a good running trainer.

Chad said...

The rest of that crap is too girly.

Jess said...

I would look into Yale's online classes. They have some really interesting free classes and I can't wait until I have a moment to check them out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails