Thursday, February 21, 2008

been a long time...

I was thinking the other day about how when I first started this blog, it was mostly a record of funny things Abigail says. And I don't write those much anymore.

So I thought...why don't I?

And I realized that it's because, sadly enough, she doesn't say funny things anymore, because she's pretty much figured out all the funny things (like language) that I used to laugh at.

Oh, sure, there's still the occasional snicker, like when I overheard her trying to figure out the gender (and appropriate pronoun) of the fridge yesterday: "Oh, dah fridge, oops! I need to close him door. He door? She door? Her door? Um...just say 'fridge door.' Das sound good."

But in general, she's suddenly like this tiny little mini adult. And moreover, she's not just any adult, she is 100% female.

Case in point.

Yesterday I wore these earrings (for the first time since I received them) to work:


(No, I didn't wear the T-shirt to work--I wore an angora turtleneck. Not exactly kid-friendly. This was a end-of-day picture).

Neil never noticed them--not in the morning when he got up, or when he dropped me off, or when he picked me up and I dropped him off, or when he came home for dinner or when we washed the dishes or when he came home from splits with the missionaries or when I took them off before going to bed.

Abigail, however, commented on them as soon as she saw me that day: "Oh, Mommy, those are some pretty earrings. Let's see...they are black and silver, huh? Those are very nice. I like them. You look like a princess."

Throughout the day, she would occasionally tell me again, "Those earrings are just so so cute!" In short, she never fails to give an opinion on my choice of jewelry or shoes as soon as she sees me dressed.

And then there's this little triumvirate of pictures:







Can you tell what she's doing and who she's been watching?
Yes. That is my two-year-old, carefully (re)arranging fruit and then "taking a picture" of the results. In fact, when I asked her if she was finished, she put her head to one side, looked speculatively at the bowl, shook her head and frowned, and then said, "No, I think there is some space for one more orange right here in this spot. That will look so nice."


And then there's Juliet, whose metamorphosis into a "big girl princess friend" Abigail is eagerly awaiting. One thorn that apparently digs deep into Abigail's soul is Juliet's lack of hair, because really, Abigail would LOVE to share her collection of "pretties" with Jules.


So today, in apparent frustration, she went after the tufts on the back of Juliet's head, and then proudly announced, "Oh Mommy! Juliet has a sparkly pretty on her hair and she is so beautiful, not a baby, but a princess!"



And Juliet, I imagine, felt something like this about the whole process:


Oh well. Much as I miss my perpetual source of linguistic amusement, there are some definite pros to Abigail's advancing years and skills:


She can finally earn her keep around here!

Just wait, Juliet. The hour cometh.


So enjoy your lounging while you can...



Because I've got my eye on you too.

8 comments:

Katrina said...

Very cute, Rach! And I think Abigail is still full of lots of funnies. They keep me chuckling when I read your blog.

Kathryn Cooper said...

Oh I need a little girl!

Unknown said...

i love that abigail makes some of the same faces you do.

tricki_nicki said...

I can't believe your oldest speaks like that! I think my middle is about the same age and he's um, not that eloquent!

Rosalind said...

awwwwww she's sooo cute!!!!!!

Rachel Mae said...

Abigail is a crack-up. It sounds fun to have a sweet little commentary in the background of whatever you're doing.

Crapos said...

You know, I hadn't thought about it, but S doesn't really say anything funny anymore either. Kind of sad. I could use a good laugh. (And I love the fridge thing.)

joanna said...

Abigail is such a little character; very smart and very creative.

Related Posts with Thumbnails