Tuesday, February 26, 2008
notes from the sickroom
I'b so tired ub being sick.
This is what stinks about teaching--I'm exposed to way more viral enemies via my students, half of whom have missed class lately due to...you guessed it...illness (which they tell me as they hand me their germ-besmeared homework).
In any case, today I noticed one nice thing about being sick: the smallest accomplishment takes on mammoth proportions, because when you're sick (or at least when I'm sick) I think that I should spend the day in bed with a box of tissues and a gallon of orange juice, and since I can't do that since I have two small people calling "mamamamamamama I need you" (and shining a flashlight in my eyes to see "how sick you are, just look here okay and you feel better so probably you can get out of bed now and get me some breakfast so hurry please because i am very hungry are you getting up now i am very hungry get up now now now i want some cereal and oranges and yogurt") and a husband who is gone all day and leaves again before bedtime three days out of four, I have to get up and take care of everyone. Therefore, doing something like feeding the girls breakfast and changing them out of their pajamas is really impressive.
And let me tell you, as I mopped up the kitchen floor after breakfast this morning, on my hands and knees no less, I felt like Hercules cleaning the Augean stables (except I didn't divert any rivers, which probably would have made it go a lot faster). And also, my floor wasn't covered in manure. Just strawberry jam.
This is what stinks about teaching--I'm exposed to way more viral enemies via my students, half of whom have missed class lately due to...you guessed it...illness (which they tell me as they hand me their germ-besmeared homework).
In any case, today I noticed one nice thing about being sick: the smallest accomplishment takes on mammoth proportions, because when you're sick (or at least when I'm sick) I think that I should spend the day in bed with a box of tissues and a gallon of orange juice, and since I can't do that since I have two small people calling "mamamamamamama I need you" (and shining a flashlight in my eyes to see "how sick you are, just look here okay and you feel better so probably you can get out of bed now and get me some breakfast so hurry please because i am very hungry are you getting up now i am very hungry get up now now now i want some cereal and oranges and yogurt") and a husband who is gone all day and leaves again before bedtime three days out of four, I have to get up and take care of everyone. Therefore, doing something like feeding the girls breakfast and changing them out of their pajamas is really impressive.
And let me tell you, as I mopped up the kitchen floor after breakfast this morning, on my hands and knees no less, I felt like Hercules cleaning the Augean stables (except I didn't divert any rivers, which probably would have made it go a lot faster). And also, my floor wasn't covered in manure. Just strawberry jam.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh, I'm so sorry you are sick! I hope you feel better soon!
You mopped the floor while sick?? That's amazing! I was thinking how good it was of you to change your kids out of their pajamas. Get well soon!
kathryn, i must confess that i only mopped it because a chair was stuck in the jam and would not move. abigail threw some bread jam-side-down last night and i just didn't have the energy to deal with it then...so i got to do it today.
but my floor looks nice now and i can sniffle and snuffle with a clear conscience!
I'm so, so sorry. That's all.
awww. i gave you my ghnoopia. i'm sorry! tylenol cold and comtrex have been godsends...just be sure you get the non-drowsy kind, or else the girls will be sans mommy for 8-10 hours.
I have no idea what you were talking about with the Hercules thing, but I'm so sorry you're sick! Send the kids over to Melissa's so you can nap!
Post a Comment