Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I need a break from e.n.d.l.e.s.s. loads of potty-training laundry, scrubbing marker off walls, washing expensive foundation out of my white bedding, breaking up fights, waking up every hour and a half to reinsert a pacifier, and having so many unexpected messes and catastrophes that I haven't been able to do any housework other than laundry or time-with-children other than reading stories to them while nursing.

What do you do when you have days/weeks/months like this? I'm burning out, really and truly. I do have a yoga class once a week, which gives me a blissful hour and a half of just being me, but last night when I came back home the status quo was such that I felt all my shavasana-induced peace desert me and flee in terror.

Anything that works for you to re-center yourself and keep focus on the little joys?

5 comments:

danielle said...

Honestly what I do is just start saying no to things that I don't really need to do. I say no to friends who want to get together. I say no to blogging for awhile. I say no to anything that doesn't have to be done, and I get Avery and we slow down and do whatever we feel like doing.

Anonymous said...

kids will be kids. sometimes I find the best break from the kids is to sit down and play with them. it keeps them out of trouble, makes everyone happy, and gives me a chance to get my mind off of everything that's been bugging me. its the best way I've found for pushing the reset button on a bad mood. it also helps me see priorities more clearly.

Sarah Harward said...

I go to my mom's. Since she's only 3 hours away, it's doable. There have even been times when I go without Steven, during the week when we don't see him a ton anyway, and just cancel any and every activity that was supposed to happen. Just getting out of my house and letting my kids be smothered by love by someone else just seems to cheer us all up. You're family isn't too far away, right? When push comes to shove (like after 2 or 3 MONTHS of chaos and disasters and grumpiness) I decide it's a better alternative than selling my kids (or myself). And not that it helps much, but eventually things will settle back down. In our house, it seems like EVERYONE seems to burn out and hit rock bottom at the same time (well, the kids and I do, Steven is usually the strong force that always keeps us together) and that never helps. they fall apart and I fall apart, and it's never a good thing. Hang in there!

Meghan said...

I'd go for two nights out a week--one yoga, one dessert with friends. It's very refreshing to just be gone for a little while. You can come back ready to take on the world again, but you need a little bit of time when you are truly off duty.

Erica said...

I don't really have any ideas but know that others out there feel your pain because what you just wrote sounds exactly like my life right now too :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails