Thursday, September 09, 2010

have you read this?

I came across this really intriguing post the other day about Mormons and design blogging.  Something fun:  finding out that the Martha Stewart Living offices are dominated by Mormons, as are the intern slots on David Letterman.  Who knew?  But my very favorite part was the comments:  everyone was so kind and positive, even though the majority of them weren't practicing members. 

I loved how positive the author of this post was, although she's no longer actively attending the LDS church.  One of my very favorite things about blogging is the chance that we have to show our faith in a positive light through our everyday lives.  I think it's a great way for non-members to see the principles in action and how they really affect our families and the day-to-day: we're happy people who revel in our families and our faith.  And we love being crazy productive and doing all kinds of inventive and creative things, because that's just how we were raised.  :-)  A friend from middle school called me a few months ago and told me that she'd decided that even though she wasn't interested in the church herself, she needed to talk to her Mormon friends because she wanted to feel that same optimism and joy in life.  I was so struck by the fact that while I had literally not spoken to this girl in years (I moved to another state when I was 14), that was what she remembered. 

I like reading things like this because they make me reconsider how much of my character and personality are based on my religion.  I always figure that my morals are grounded in my faith, but I think that the upbringing and the values influence so much more than that. 

What do you think?  Has this been your experience as well? 

PS--I am always more than happy to answer questions about my church.  :-)  It makes me so happy every single day.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hi Rachael!

I sent you an email a couple months ago about how much I enjoy reading your blog. One of the reasons is because I take so much joy in reading about how your faith influences your day-to-day living. I am a practicing Methodist, but I have really come to admire many of the values that the LDS Church upholds and have felt inspired to practice them in my own life.

Keep up the good work! It really does make a difference.

Related Posts with Thumbnails