Friday, July 15, 2011

end of an era

 }
One of the occupational hazards of making friends with lots of doctoral students is that everyone is here for years--long enough to really become a part of your life--and then they move.  We're nearing the end of our time here, so everyone who arrived before us has gone, and I've gotten somewhat used to it, but today is hitting me really hard.  We just said good-bye to the very first friends we made here--the first people who ever had us over for dinner.  Neil and Tyler worked in the same lab for the last five years, and Andrea was my 5:45 am workout buddy for years.  For the last five years, we've done date nights every single month, playdates every week, temple trips, overnight kid-swaps, parties, dinner groups, carpools, bike rides, playground visits and walks around the neighborhood (they lived half a mile from us).  Abigail and Elise were in the same kindergarten class and rode the bus home together every day.  We've seen each other through five additional children (almost six!).  It's hard to imagine what next year is going to be like without them.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Isaac seems really sad they are leaving.

Dani said...

I so feel your pain. That is the worst! It's so hard to leave and be left. So, so hard.

Kritta22 said...

That's so tough! What a great blessing to have people in your life like them, even for a short time. I hope you cross paths again!

Rachel Mae said...

My sister's going through the same thing right now. I can tell you though that we're still good friends with three families my parents were friends with in grad school--we visit them at least once a year!

Lindsey said...

Almost positive I've been emailing with your Andrea for the last several months as she has house-hunted, OB-hunted, ped-hunted, etc. Small world! I've been out of town, but I know they are here now. Can't wait to meet your buddy!

Andrea said...

Rachael, we are missing you guys too more than you'll know. I forgot how hard starting over is and we are REALLY REALLY missing you all. I'm slow...one of these days I will post some pics of all of us and pay tribute. Thanks for the kind words and just know we are thinking of you all too and are so glad that we are within driving distance!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails