Sunday, December 07, 2008

blue spruce



Crunchy snow and really tall trees (we felt like we were in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe).






Total silence...falling snow...enormous aromatic white-frosted pines...kinda romantic.





All the trees were big (really big, because this is the farm's last year because the trees are so overgrown--most were upwards of 15 feet), so we ended up with this handsome ten-footer that Abigail named "Mrs. Porky," which she explained as "It keeps porking me--you know, like a porcupine!" One other really cool thing about the tree farm--they sell fresh eggs for a dollar and a quarter (I don't know about where you live, but most farmers charge at least $3/dozen). The kids were fascinated by the chickens the whole time that the tree was being loaded up.

And then we came home, drank about a gallon of hot chocolate (the made-from-scratch good kind), and pricked our little fingers silly decorating that tree. And we've been spending a lot of time lying on the floor looking at the lights (or kissing the ornaments, if you're Abigail).

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a three-year-old ready to make a popcorn string...


7 comments:

Kayli said...

Awww--those are beautiful pictures that just send out the smell and feel of Christmas! Makes me wish that we could have gone to tree farm too!

As far as the blue jean skirt goes, I didn't actually use just one tutorial. I skimmed a few (you can find a ton just by googling blue jeans to skirt tutorial) and was thinking about it for awhile. Then I saw a girl at church with a really cute skirt and because I had been looking at the tutorials I could see that it had been made from jeans (meaning, it looked so good that I don't think you'd be able to tell ordinarily). Anyway, I just borrowed her skirt to have something concrete to look at and winged (wung ;)) it. I can let you borrow my skirt anytime if you think it might help you, or I can describe the process in more detail. Just be sure to try on after you've pinned and before you sew.

Heatherbelle said...

Ahhh! It really makes me want to go out and get a big 15 foot tree for my foyer, but since I'm leaving next Tuesday I figured it was kind of silly to spend the money. Your pictures are gorgeous!

Mary Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Beth said...

You have no idea how much I envy you right now. Christmas-tree-hunting is one of the fondest memories of my childhood, and I bitterly resent the fact that for the past four years I've missed out on it. Stupid school.

I can't wait to see you in two and a half weeks!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture of beautiful people. Blue spruce are one of the most beautiful trees...but they are not very child friendly. Still I'm figuring that when Juliet gets here she will be conditioned not to tough the tree.

Dud.

danielle said...

That looks positively wonderful! I love how the photos are all misty form the cold...makes me feel like I was there. And I love that photo one post down of Juliet in the pink coat. I had a coat just like that (hot pink with fake fur trim) when I was about three or four. I loved it! Such a cute little Eskimo!

Kritta22 said...

Why have I not been getting your updates on my blog!!!
Your tree is beautiful! I love the kiss picture. You guys are so cute.
You make me wanna celebrate the season even more, with more cheer!

Related Posts with Thumbnails