Saturday, July 26, 2008

hey, it's good to be back home again...sometimes this old farm...wait...it's not a farm. crazy john denver.

We're back.

When we walked in tonight, I found about 200 unread messages in my email, 160 unread posts in my Google Reader, 20 messages on the answering machine (including 4 from my mom that I think were supposed to be for the cell phone, which would explain the increasing frustration at not being able to get in touch with me when we were late for family pictures), and a stack of mail six inches high.

I am so not kidding. Amazing what a week away from technology (and two weeks away from my house will do). I don't recognize my garden anymore, and the teeny flower seeds that I planted weeks ago and despaired of have produced flowers! actual flowers! while I was gone. Everything in the garden is about two feet higher (and so is the lawn) and there are zucchini the size of baseball bats on my kitchen counter.

Lots of pictures to follow, but for now, can I just say how nice it is to be home? Vacations are (and were!) absolutely lovely, but I'm so excited to sleep in my own (king-sized! pillow top! 500 thread count sheets!) bed tonight, instead of in a sleeping bag in a tent with small children who smell like bug spray and wood smoke wailing that they want to share my sleeping bag (which incidentally is a mummy bag, and I can't blame them because it's 30 degrees outside, no joke). And eat food made by me and not a disgruntled fast-food worker, since we ran out of all our car food/snacks today and ended up at Burger King, and everyone smelled like fast food and campfire smoke for the last 300 miles. Although it was pretty dang funny to hear Abigail refuse to "eat chicken with stink on it" and realize that "stink" was her code for the honey mustard chicken nugget sauce. I don't know why that was so funny, but it really was. Chicken with stink. Heh. Oh, and my other favorite part of the last leg of the drive--when I swerved to avoid something on the freeway and Abigail yelled "Wow, Mommy is really going crazy!" Oh, and Juliet imitating the elk bugling. Those kids. Funny people.

The vacation was fabulous. Absolutely fabulous (okay, the swarms of mosquitoes in Yellowstone were not so fabulous. Those would be the mosquitoes that were so bad that other people were canceling their reservations).

But it's sure good to be home.

3 comments:

sarah said...

oh, so glad you're back. would it be creepy to say i kinda missed your entries?

Meghan said...

Glad you made it home safe. Call me when you get a chance so I can catch up on the last few days--and where you stayed Thursday night! We're looking forward to seeing you, if only briefly, on Thursday.

Heatherbelle said...

Welcome back, Rachael!

Related Posts with Thumbnails