Tuesday, July 29, 2008

if i had a million dollars...



...I would buy this bed (from Sweet Pea and Willow).

Seriously, I love all things Louis XVI, like medallion chairs and this pretty little cabriole-legged dressing table like this (from Graham and Greene Co. UK)...and eventually that's what my bedroom will look like. Some day. Some day very far away.

For now, I'm pretending I don't see the treadmill, computer desk, and piano that are filling my supposedly serene haven.


Anyway, just a random note, because lately my bedroom has been driving me INSANE. It's like a focus center of industry and chaos, rather than somewhere that I can really relax and feel at peace. I don't like exercising and paying bills in the same room where I sleep--it makes me nervous and jumpy at night, because I can't seperate my "to-do list" self from the "go to sleep self."

Do you care if there are other things in your bedroom besides a bed and a dresser and the like? Does your room now look like your ideal haven, or is it perhaps a work in progress?

In other news, I've been cooking like a crazy woman who hasn't had her kitchen for the last two weeks. As we were doing the dinner dishes Sunday, I ran outside to the garden and picked an enormous sheaf of basil leaves and made a batch of pesto. Then while Neil washed the pesto dishes I started making zucchini pineapple spice bread. Yesterday when I made whole-wheat bread the smell of it baking made my heart do a little jump. And when I made dinner on Saturday and realized that I was using zucchini, green beans, onions, cucumbers, and peppers from our garden that I'd picked just a few minutes before...ah. So satisfying. And lovely (even if the garden is not doing as well as I had hoped it would do this year...kind of hard to go on vacation in July, and we've had a really wet and cold spring).


Another thing I've been thinking about: can you believe Juliet will be a year old next week? I totally can't. I went to buy her a present this morning (not that she really cares, but whatever) and it was so strange to realize that my baby is nearing the end of babyhood and walking towards toddlerhood! Neil's parents will be here this weekend, so I think we will probably celebrate her birthday then, since on her actual birthday she gets to go to the hospital and have surgery on her little ears. Talk about fun, eh?

And lastly, I haven't blogged about this yet, but every year at my birthday it's a time of gratitude for me, because it reminds me of the cancer diagnosis that my grandmother was given when I was a teeny baby, and how she prayed that she would live to see my first birthday. And now she's been able to celebrate 25 birthdays with me, and I can't even tell you what an enormous blessing it is to have her in my life. She's a very real presence for me--she writes me every week and calls and always lets me know she's thinking about me and how much she loves me. A very real blessing.

What's been on your mind today?

5 comments:

Ruth Decker said...

my bedroom has a lot of my little sister's stuff in it...but it's ok. We've opened everything and I am wearing all of her clothes. :0 haha just kidding elise!

Kritta22 said...

Wow 25 years with your Grandma...that's awesome. I was just thinking about my grandma the other day and how she would have loved my little family I have now. I'm sure she is smiling up there, ya know!
My bedroom is a mess also. It's the only place to put the treadmill. Which makes me not want to workout on it even more, cuz I'd rather curl into bed for a nap!! But I love your bedroom ideas. Some day!

Kritta22 said...

send me your address or I"m not sending you an apron!! So there! :)

Her Shabbyness: Sweet 'n Southern said...

My bedroom is constantly messy--betwen the piles of laundry and just stuff... but, it's better than it was, and is a total work in progress. Last year we finally graduated to "grown up" bedding and I think that had made a huge difference. Random, but true.

Elise Decker said...

haha, my bedroom....well, you've seen it...but it is more empty now that most of it is in Ruth's bedroom, and they are NOT GETTING INTO MY STUFF, of course....

Related Posts with Thumbnails