Wednesday, July 09, 2008

mishmash


Picture from July '07 (definitely not '08, as Abigail is now a foot taller and I am not eight and a half months pregnant). It seemed like a good going-on-vacation picture.

Fourth of July
I realized that I never said anything about the 4th of July fireworks, and we had so much fun, but I didn't take my camera (on purpose), so I won't blog about it very much other than to say we had the most fabulous time. Last year we went with a whole bunch of friends and had a great time; this year we just stuck with our little family. I was a little worried about entertaining the kids (we got there almost three hours before the fireworks started and we forgot both the soccer ball and the frisbee), but somehow it went really fast, between the rolling-down-hills and reading innumerable stories and trying to teach Abigail how to play tag and snuggling down under blankets together (it was REALLY cold! In July!). When the fireworks finally started, Jules loved them, but Abigail was afraid (probably because she associates loud noises with tornadoes...) and crawled under the blanket and pressed herself up to me and very carefully covered her face so only one eye was peeking out. So she had a one-eyed view of the fireworks, which we thought was pretty funny.

Neil is awesome
We're leaving tomorrow and I'm super excited, especially since Neil has been working like crazy (i.e. staying at the lab until after 11 pm on a day that he left at 7 am) and he's managed to finish up his big summer project. I am so proud of him and his hard work, and especially relieved that he will be able to relax and enjoy this trip, rather than running all sorts of complicated simulations and data analysis programs on the laptop. Yay, honey!

Abigail is funny
Recently Abigail has really gotten into pretending. Yesterday I was weeding the garden and she was playing Peter Pan on the swings (you know, running at the swing from 50 feet away and hitting it full force in her stomach so she swings super fast with her arms flung wide, barreling towards the fence on her stomach). Then she decided she was tired of being Peter Pan and she wanted to be Michael, so she ran in the house and got her teddy bear. So then when I went to get her after her quiet time (which is gradually replacing her nap) she gave me this enormous smile, sat up, and said, "Mommy, it's so nice to see you. I was just pretending I was Wendy, but you can be Wendy if you want." She also told me yesterday she was going on a picnic, and I asked if I was going too, and she told me, "No, just my friends Brush, Doll Dress, anudder Doll Dress, and Barbie." And last but not least, today when I suggested that we go read stories in her room, she thought about it for a minute, and then said, "Okay, but we have to be very quiet, because I just put my kids down for a nap and they're sleeping" (sure enough, her three-inch Barbie dolls were sleeping in a bed made from plastic fences and fabric scraps).

Juliet is crazy
Um...that pretty much sums it up. I think she's transitioning from two naps to one (maybe? who knows), so she is pretty rambunctious/exhausted a lot of the time. But most of the time she's still my sweet little baby, just a version of my baby who spends most of her time standing independently, tries to wash her hands in the toilet, draws all over her feet with any pens left within her reach, and throws blueberry pancakes at the wall, leaving an indelible purple stain on the red paint. Hmm...I made her sound sort of monsterish, but she really isn't. She's just very curious and incredibly active. Juliet makes me realize what a placid baby Abigail was--Abigail was content to sit in her stroller and eat Cheerios while Neil held office hours or I conferenced with students, but Juliet is like a little diapered Houdini. She cracks me up...and I'm so glad Abigail is here to entertain her. :-)


Me
I'm running around like a headless chicken crossing off to-do list items and trying to clean and pack and think of everything, but guess what?

Eighteen days until my twenty-fifth birthday! Sweet!!

2 comments:

Elise Decker said...

haha, i like Abigail's list of friends--we're excited to hang out with you guys in utah, and the whole family will be there! first time in a long time!! yay!

Kritta22 said...

I must have missed where you were going. I hope you have a ball! We are going to seattle on Sunday. I hope all goes as planned (but it never does). I love that you have a calm one and a not-so-calm one!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails