Thursday, May 22, 2008

Google Reader

If you aren't familiar with Google reader, you really should check it out (especially if you already have Gmail). You can subscribe to the blogs you read so you're not constantly checking to see if someone has updated. It really simplifies keeping in touch with everyone.

Unfortunately, when I read things in Google Reader it also means I don't comment on blogs as much as I usually do, because it entails extra clicking and linking and the like. But as part of my goal to follow the principles Elder Ballard outlined in his talk "Daughters of God," I'm trying to spend less time on the Internet.

So please don't think I don't love you and I don't read your blog. I do, I promise. I'm just not commenting as often because I'm trying to spend more time with my kiddies. And I also love you even though I took down my links list--I'm subscribed to your blog in Google Reader, so I took down the sidebar link to free up some white space on the blog itself.

On a semi-related note, I've been thinking about disabling the comments on my blog because I feel guilty for not commenting on everyone else's blogs. And because I'm always thinking, "Hmm, maybe I should check my email and see if anyone commented." What do you think? Keep the comments, or not so much?

7 comments:

Kilerkki said...

Keep the comments! We like having input. And it's not some sort of necessarily reciprocal thing. If you don't comment on other peoples' blogs, that means they'll comment less on yours, but it doesn't mean you don't deserve comments.

Also, for what it's worth, I like the links list, because I like to see what you're reading (and sometimes it helps me discover fun new blogs).

But I applaud you in your efforts to spend less time online and more with your family.

Bryce's Ramblings said...

Comments=Good. Not that I ever make any. But still, if people want to talk back, it's nice to have a way of doing that now and then.

Katrina said...

I say leave em. But it's totally up to you.

Meghan said...

I like reading what other people have to say to you (especially if they're related). I'd leave the comments--I do miss the links, because that's how I found people I don't read regularly.

Autumn said...

Keep the commetns. Unless of course you're really feeling ultra guilty. But at least for myself, I don't mind you not commenting. I actually tried google reader months ago but quit because of the comments think. Otherwise love it. Our computer-and probably yours-also has a desktop gadget where the new posts come up there-without even launching google reader. Have I mentioned that I love all things google???

The Waltz Family said...

Kudos to you for spending less time on here, but really, comments are fun!

P.S. Doesn't bother me if people do or don't comment on my blog, so don't feel bad!

rachel said...

I feel guilty about this too. Since the baby I've hardly had time to check blogs let alone comment . . . but I'm sure it will get better. I say keep comments because the fun thing about blogging is that your audience feels so much more real than other types of writing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails