Tuesday, June 24, 2008

creativity binge

Yesterday I borrowed my friend's sewing machine and sort of went nuts.

First I made the twirly skirt that I'd promised Abigail (we had so much fun picking out the fabric together!)


Then I made the shoulder bag, which I've been really excited to make.



Also very excited about this fabric.



And I like how long it is--I hate it when the bottom of a bag hits my waist. I have children who can take care of waist-bumping, thanks very much.



I made the bag longer and wider than the pattern, since I KNOW I will be cramming in lots of things. Shoulder bag? Who am I kidding? It's really going to be a diaper bag.
Speaking of which, I made this bag to hold diapers and wipes (and I made it detachable on purpose, since this way someone else can go change the diaper (like a husband!) without taking the entire bag with them. Excellent for sacrament meeting). I just sort of freestyled this--no actual pattern.



And speaking of freestyling, Abigail and I did some hand embroidery this morning. It was nice to relax with her and do something other than crayons for our creativity time (I read The Creative Family over the weekend and we're branching out with some of the activities she suggests).

I think this will eventually end up on Abigail's walls.


And here's Abigail's--not bad for her second time, eh? She put in all the stitches herself, although she did ask me (on the letters) approximately where to put the needle.


11 comments:

tricki_nicki said...

Look at that darling little skirt!! I love it (and am wishing for the millionth time that I had a girl.)

I'm actually headed to a little fabric boutique on Thursday to get more fabric for an adorable apron I'm making. Well, that my friend's making for me. I'm not good with a sewing machine. :)

necia said...

Are you taking orders, that bag is awesome!

Brittanie said...

Rachel,
We finally have internet again and it has been fun catching up on your blog. Congrats on the weight loss! Also, Abigail's skirt is really great. Is it the same fabric as Mia's bedspread. I love the fabric.

Heatherbelle said...

I swear I was in the middle of writing my blog post when yours popped up on Google reader. I was not copying your topic! :) That skirt is so cute!!! If you want you can borrow either of my skirt patterns when I get them! Again, so cute!

Kayli said...

Cute cute cute cute cute cute cute CUTE! I love the skirt and I LOVE the bag! The material you picked out is so adorable! I already bookmarked the tutorial for it the last time you posted, but now I really just need to do it! Fun, fun stuff. You should find yourself a sewing machine at a garage sale or something!

Ruth Decker said...

very pretty. but the initials that Abigail stitched..what do they stand for...

Tam said...

Very cute! I so need to get out my sewing maching! Thanks for some inspiration!

Rachael said...

she wanted to make an A for Abigail. And then a B, I don't know why. And then she wanted to do L and R, but Juliet woke up and we had to put away our needles.

joanna said...

Waaay cute skirt! Where did you find the fabric for everything?

Andrea said...

Funny. We got the same book from the library!

Ginger said...

I keep meaning to give you a comment on the skirt. I love it...and the fabric! I almost got Leah to wear the dress that I made her to church today. It's made from the same fabric! They would have been matchies.

Related Posts with Thumbnails