Wednesday, June 04, 2008

thinking

Yesterday was another tornado watch day, which means that I spent two hours rubbing Abigail's back in the afternoon while it thundered, and then we spent more time in the middle of the night with a small shaking blond fluffball in our bed (fortunately around 3 am she consented to sleep on a mattress next to our bed, so we all got some sleep. It was a long night. At one point I was so groggy and desperate to get back to sleep that when Abigail shrieked in terror at the incessant--literally, it sounded like a train was going by with NO breaks between the thunder--boomings, I said something like, "Oh, Abigail, it's just teeny little nice fairies in the sky dropping things and sometimes they break! It's just nice tiny little sparkly fairies!" and then this morning Neil was like, "What the heck were you babbling about with the fairies in the middle of the night?" Oh well).

Anyway, it was a perfect day today to have my darling visiting teachers come, because we got to chat for two hours while our children all ran around and wore themselves out in Abigail's room and us thunder-sleep-deprived mommies didn't have to do any child-wrangling. And it was fabulous because they graciously helped me cut out fabric for wheat and lavender heat packs (for Enrichment next week). I just love them.

One of the things we were discussing today (since both my visiting teachers are currently in grad school--one is getting her master's in financial planning and the other is doing a doctorate in family studies--aren't they awesome? especially with children!) is some of the emotional difficulty that comes with working to educate oneself and then making the transition to motherhood, where one may or may not be home all the time, working, using one's education directly, not using it so directly, etc. We talked a lot about perpetual education and about working to receive as much formal education as possible. It was an interesting discussion, and one I really needed. It's a real blessing to have visiting teachers who are dealing with the same things I'm working to understand and figure out in my own life. And it's great to have visiting teachers who have become real friends.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I feel uneducated compared to all of your friends. I don't think I could balance all of that!

Elise Decker said...

so, do the wheat and lavender heat packs work better than rice socks? and if so, how to do you make them? (and do they smell good? cause i kinda like the rice smell)

Related Posts with Thumbnails