Friday, August 29, 2008

new beginnings



It's been an interesting week. On the one hand, it's been nice to get back into the very regimented routine of a teaching semester. All four of us have really loved having our new little study in the used-to-be-a-dining-room, and it's been particularly nice to be able to answer student emails and grade papers while the girls play quietly with THEIR toys, rather than fiddling around with the treadmill.

On the other hand, Juliet and I are still sick (ten days for Juliet, seven days for me) and I have so little energy that something like canning salsa or mowing the lawn seems like an insurmountable barrier (both of those knocked me out for the rest of the night). I can feel my heart thudding like mad when I finish my usual 3-mile run, and the fact that I have to grade or update things on my website during naptime makes me want to cry.

But on the bright side, it's a three-day weekend (although our to-do list is eight miles long) and Juliet hasn't nursed in 48 hours! (I see a wide vista of freedom and gloriousness opening up before me...if you've ever had a child who nursed exclusively for 13 months and absolutely refused to ever take a bottle, you'll know what kind of excitement I'm talking about!) We're moving onwards and upwards, even if we do backslide every now and then.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachael...You might want to let your body rest and not run three miles for a day or two while your immune system is working hard to make you well. Hope you feel better soon. :) Aunt Pam

Katrina said...

Sorry you are sick! I can't get over how much juliet looks like you, especially in that picture.

Meghan said...

Maybe some of the things on your to-do list should move to the to-do-later list, and you should all just have some fun down time at the park.

rachel said...

I hear you on the nursing front. I love, love nursing Zoe but it will also be very nice when I can do anything away from her without worrying whether she's going to need to eat. (She also does not like to take a bottle or wait very long before meals. Small snacks all the time.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails