Sunday, July 29, 2007

Daddy the outlaw

Like many fathers, I imagine, Neil likes to point out the impossibility or silliness of certain things: the likelihood that Little Red Riding Hood would get away from the wolf, Cinderella's general moaning and groaning about how maltreated she is without doing anything about it, the foolhardiness of Piglet giving up his house to Owl when Owl's house was destroyed and thereby leaving Piglet homeless, etc. Abigail has apparently been listening to these with growing understanding and disdain.

This morning on the way to church Abigail asked to sing the "birdie song." I began singing "The bright sun comes up! The dew dries away! Good morning, good morning, the little birds say!" while Neil sang "The big gun comes up! The birds fly away! The ones that remain get their heads blown away!"

Suddenly we heard a little voice say from the backseat "Daddy, NO SINGING! NO SINGING!" and for the rest of the drive to church, whenever Neil opened his mouth to sing with us, he was immediately met with a screeched "NO SINGING DADDY!"

I guess she told him.

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I am sniggering so bad. Poor Neil. His version of the song seems...very Decker-ish. :D

Anonymous said...

wow...that is hilarious. nice, neil...

and rachael--i always thought it was, "the dew flies away," not "dries away"...mom always sings "flies".

don't bother replying, ill never sing that song the same way ever again...

BANG BANG!!

gotta love daddys.

Related Posts with Thumbnails