Tuesday, July 24, 2007

weekend

I feel like i should post just to let people know I haven't disappeared into the ether, but I'm a quarter of the way through my grading (which means I've graded 8 papers this afternoon, eek!) so it won't be long since i don't really want to lose my momentum.

This weekend was really fun (in spite of the 58 degree water of Lake Michigan, so sadly we did NOT go swimming). We were able to enjoy lots of fun time just talking and hanging out with family, although it was somewhat curtailed by the three copies of Harry Potter that Mom and I picked up at Sam's Club on Saturday (I finished on Saturday, Elise and Rosalind finished on Sunday, and I read the last 130 pages to Neil on our way home on Monday). As a sidenote, I'm sure grateful for the lack of TV growing up--it meant that I read fast enough that it only took me 5 hours to read the book, so I was able to do the majority of my reading between 11 pm and 2 am when everyone else was asleep. Neil and I also saw the 5th movie on Saturday while Abigail napped at home, so it was a Potter-ful weekend. It's funny to realize that the next time I see my family we'll have another little baby in tow! Crazy!

But we also got to enjoy a lovely lunch with my grandparents on Monday and I got some really fun birthday presents from my fabulous family on Sunday. I honestly forgot it was going to be my birthday the next week when we originally made plans to go up--I just wanted a weekend away from all our responsibilities here!!--but my wonderful family remembered and showered me with thoughtful gifts and a steak dinner complete with trifle for dessert. What lovely people.

I'll try to post some pictures later...I think I may have a few.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

good times! I am waiting for my mom to bring Harry Potter with her tomorrow when she comes. I have successfully not heard a thing about the book yet, and am very excited to read it for myself. As long as I can keep Jared's hands off it! Glad to hear your trip to see the fam was fun. How great that you live close enough to be able to visit for the weekend!

sarah said...

I quit reading the Harry Potter books after the fifth, it just got way too hyped about, and an odd quirk of mine is that as soon as somethings super hyped and popular, I don't like it anymore. I might read the remaining two books someday, but for now I'm good. I also refuse to see the movies - I saw the first one and it was really bad, and I don't like seeing amazing-books-turned-to-movies to begin with (the only 3 I can think of that are the exception is the LOTR triology, Pride & Prejudice and Thank you for smoking).

Related Posts with Thumbnails