I can tell I've been busy this week when I see this scruffy man who so sorely needs a haircut. But he doesn't complain--he just keeps cutting up peaches!
My hands are on fire...eek. Fortunately a combination of aloe vera burn relief (which happens to be laced with lidocaine), ice water, rubbing alcohol, and Vaseline seems to be at least taking the pain down to a bearable level.
Today has been the stuff of which lovely Saturdays are made. We went for a brisk 2.5 mile walk at 7:30 this morning while it was lovely and cool and foggy to work up our appetites, then came home and had whole-wheat crepes with fresh peaches for breakfast. Then we picked beans and applied fertilizer and pesticides to the garden and with our "work" done, took off for the recreation center on campus. Neil and Abigail went straight to the pool while I hit the weight room; after I finished I joined them and the three of us spent a happy hour and a half or so splashing around in the dive pool, which allows children (kind of paradoxical since it's seventeen feet deep, but it was fun). Abigail really took off today--she was wearing the required flotation device, which was sort of like a foam backpack, and she was literally swimming by herself--she would jump in from the diving platform into Neil's arms, then let go and take off swimming the five or ten feet to the side of the pool (trailed very closely by two nervous parents), climb out by herself, and go repeat the whole process. She also was really fascinated by Neil's diving, and by the end of today was very carefully lining her toes up on the edge of the pool, clasping her hands together over her head, and crouching down, and learning forward as she jumped. Pretty cool. We were quite impressed by how coordinated her hands and arms were when she was "swimming"--I guess she's been paying a lot of attention when we've been showing her the movements in the pool lately, and having the little back-floating thing made it so she could actually take off and move independently.
When we finished up at the pool, we all rested for a couple of hours, then we canned all the peaches we got yesterday (although sadly we only got 11 quarts, since the price has really skyrocketed since last year due to the late frost, so we ended up canning less than we did last year. Hopefully apples will be cheaper later on this fall and we can just make extra applesauce). And then we had the brilliant idea of making hot pepper relish with the multitude of jalapenos and bell peppers from the garden--which better be good considering the chemical burn price I foolishly paid.
And speaking of preserving foods, here's a great website somebody sent me earlier on freezing, canning, etc: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze.html (and Rachel, it basically says the same thing about zucchini as I wrote in my email, so hopefully that worked effectively for you, since this doesn't have any other tips!)
1 comment:
I have yet to get to them...but will soon. I'm sure it will work great though. Thanks for the site. I'm new to all this free-extra-produce-lying-around stuff.
Post a Comment