Monday, September 01, 2008

salvaging

Today was bad/good.

Bad because I am still sick, Juliet is still sick, and Abigail is getting sick. Bad because it's Labor Day and Neil had to go to the lab anyway. Bad because he came home for dinner and then had to be back by 6:30. Bad because I felt guilty no matter what I did--yes, I did some much-needed closet storage of summer clothes and inventory of winter clothes, but on the other hand, I didn't spend any time playing with the girls or reading stories. Bad because I didn't run (still feeling too sick), bad because I didn't drink enough water (resulting in headache all day). Bad because Juliet only napped for twenty minutes.

Then I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and change my day around.

So I was grateful that my husband could come home for dinner. So what if we couldn't go to the ward Labor Day BBQ--I cooked up an Indian feast of chicken saag, channa masala, and naan (the healthiness of which made me not worry so much about not running this morning). I put my runny-nosed little girls in the bathtub and they came out smelling delicious and fresh and delightful. We cuddled up and read stories. I played the piano and they marched around like a train. We sang Abigail's favorite Primary songs. After Juliet went to bed, Abigail and I sat at the kitchen table drawing princess pictures for each other. I made a real effort to create time where I could snuggle up with my girls and stroke their soft downy baby hair and rub their tiny little backs and tell them how much I loved them.

Sometimes I just need a reminder of where my blessings are. And where my focus should be. I'm grateful that I can be a mother and a wife to the wonderful people in my life. It's good to slow down and think about that.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I'm glad you had a great day. And that you found the way to make it great. Hope the runny noses dry up soon.

Her Shabbyness: Sweet 'n Southern said...

I love that you were able to turn a somewhat not so good day into a good day. You have such a wonderful outlook!! And what a yummy dinner you made! Will those those recipes appear anytime soon to use readers? Yummm!

Crapos said...

You always amaze me. Sounds like you had a lovely evening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails