Wednesday, February 17, 2010

a public service posting



-->
Over the last few days, the kids have been eagerly watching the mail. It must seem like magic to them; due to the fact that I bought books from different sellers all over the Internet, we’ve been averaging a package or two every day. They are super excited every day to find out what new book will arrive; it’s going to be a letdown when we’re all through! Yesterday Paul Heins and Trina Schart Hyman’s Snow White arrived (which has the most gorgeous illustrations, plus it follows the Brothers Grimm storyline rather than the saccharine Disney version); we dropped what we were doing and sat down right there in front of the door to read it. Abigail promptly declared that the Disney Snow White was “yuck Snow White, let’s throw it away” and slept with the new version under her pillow. Can’t say that I blame her. And must confess I was right on board.

Anyway, I was thinking today about the hours I spent recently reading over lists called things like “The Best Children’s Books of All Time” or “Don’t-Miss Picture Books” and how some of them were great and some of them were basically a Berenstain Bears catalogue.

So with that in mind, I present to you my favorites out of the nearly 400 children’s books we own. These are the ones that I look forward to reading. J There are lots of others that I enjoy or like or think are fun, but these are ones that I’d recommend adding to your collection.
Did I miss any of your favorites?

11 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I remember Robert the Rose Horse! Is that the same author who did Ferdinand?

Kayli said...

My favorites include 'The Biggest Bear' by Lynd Ward, and 'Mr. Murry and Thumbkin' by Karma Wilson and 'Roger the Jolly Pirate' by Brett Helquist, and the Little Brute Family, and 'Leonardo the Terrible Monster' by Mo Willems, and that's all I can think of at the moment.

Unknown said...

When I was little, we had a book called "I Am A Mouse" by Ole Risom. It was the first book I learned to "read" and I still think of it fondly.

LOVE the idea of having all those amazing books in one collection. Good call on that purchase.

Crapos said...

My sister and I were just talking about Bill Peet. She really likes How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head. And have you ever read any Penrod books by Mary Blount Christian? She thought that they were my little brother's favorite but I think they're out of print and hard to come by.

Rachael said...

Jen--the treasury includes "I Am a Bunny" by Ole Risom.

MB--the treasury also has Ferdinand the Bull, which is by Munro Leaf.

Ashley--we do have Droofus the Dragon as well, but I'm not crazy about it. Maybe because it just seems so loooonngg every time I read it...I haven't read the Penrod books.

and Kayli, I'll have to try some of those! I think you're the first person I know who has also read the Little Brute Family (outside of my family). My favorite part is when they ride their crumbly sleds and end up head-first in a snowdrift screaming.

Kristyn said...

Thank you. I just added these to my google document of books to get. And I feel so silly now thinking about the comment I left a while back about book recommendations. :)

Rachael said...

don't feel silly at all, Kristyn! I checked out the link you left last time--thanks for your thoughtfulness!

Erica said...

After teaching for several years we have millions of books as well and some of my most favorite come from Helen Lester - Hooway for Wodney Wat being one of them.

Neil said...

I am impressed that you have all these memorized. I would have been like "the rose horse book. That one dude wrote it."

neil said...

All time favorite: King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Don and Audrey Wood. I still spend inordinate amounts of time looking at the pictures. I used to read it to Ashley's belly when she was pregnant so the kids would come out loving it. Didn't work, by the way; they like Where the Wild Things Are better.

Natasha and Jesse said...

I love this list! So many of these are my favorites as well and I've readaby of them to my children a 3 year old boy and 18 month old girl.
We also like the Carl books by Alexandra Day and The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.

Related Posts with Thumbnails