Monday, April 19, 2010

Five

















Five seems so much more momentous than four. It's bittersweet.

Five years ago tonight I was twenty-one years old.  I was finishing my first year of graduate school.  I was a week overdue.  (I was curled up under the end table in my living room 6 hours into a 24-hour labor).

















Five years changes a lot of things. 





















Abigail spent most of her first year of life in the stroller--Neil was finishing his senior year at BYU and I was writing my master's thesis and teaching.  Six days after her first birthday (and the day we officially graduated), we packed up our U-Haul and moved here for Neil to begin his Ph.D. 

two





    four





yesterday
Five years has been long enough for us to clash and make up countless times, to swing the pendulum from unquestioning obedience to outright denial to considered questioning.  To read a million stories.  To listen to you read them back to me, sounding out each word.  Stubby crayons, muddy toes, wilted dandelions, sticky fingers warm and trusting against my palm. 

My Abigail. 

6 comments:

Elise said...

This is so beautiful! I sort of want to cry--she is growing up so quickly!

Elise said...

also, I remember seeing her first pictures and thinking that she was the most beautiful baby that I had ever seen.

Unknown said...

Tell her "fake sister/aunt" Jen says happy birthday. :)

Meghan said...

Glad Elise has learned to say that newborn babies are beautiful! Abigail is a strong, faithful spirit who will be a force for good in the kingdom. Congrats on being found worthy for mothering someone of her caliber.

Ruth said...

Happy Birthday Abigail! Maybe in a few years she will have the present of a cousin to play with, just like she's wanted for 2 years. ;)

Dani said...

So great! It's so weird when they turn 5. It's like you're finally out of the toddler stage, and what do you do with this little girl? She's so beautiful. I remember the first time I saw Abigail. She's so darling. Happy Birthday! Grace and Ashby wish they were there to celebrate with her.

Related Posts with Thumbnails