Monday, March 15, 2010

following Michael Pollan



I really enjoy Michael Pollan's books (In Defense of Food is an absolute must-read). When Food Rules came out, I was struck by his rule about junk food: eat it only if you make it yourself. I liked this point; homemade junk food doesn't use a lot of the preservatives and really nasty ingredients, plus who wants to eat french fries every day if it takes an hour to make them? (Although I do make an awesome oven fry if I say so myself).

Anyway, when I proposed to Neil that we adopt this rule, he thought it was a great plan.

Little did I know.

For Valentine's Day, he got me an ice-cream maker, which I thought was incredibly thoughtful, since I love ice cream, but didn't like the cost of the non-dairy alternatives. It just barely arrived on Thursday (shipping took forever!)

On Friday night, he made coconut-milk ice cream flavored with cocoa and studded with chocolate chips and coconut flakes. It was heavenly.

On Saturday night, he made strawberry sorbet. Also heavenly.

On Sunday night, I took one look at the gleam in his eye and said, "Please--I can't handle any more ice cream!" Disappointed, he said he would give the ice cream maker a rest for the night.

An hour later he emerged from the kitchen with a ball of shimmering orange candy between his hands, which he was expertly folding and stretching. Another half-hour, and he'd covered the kitchen table with a glistening array of orange-flavored hard candies, dusted with powdered sugar.

I must say, this isn't at all atypical of Neil--he is the acknowledged dessert master in our house and will spend hours or even days (remember that lime cheesecake with lime curd?) working on these sweet little fancies.

I think, when we are old, we will open up a little bakery and sweet shop together.

1 comment:

Sarah Harward said...

That's so funny! I was just talking to Lucy today at pre-school about how our family is trying to not eat any sweets unless they're homemade. Not only are they 'healthier' but we have to REALLY want them if we're going to go to the work to make them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails