Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Old Nauvoo

We're headed to Nauvoo (and Carthage) this weekend, per Abigail's birthday request. I'm so excited--we haven't been there since Abigail was about 2 months old, and before that I haven't been there since I was in high school (although I went probably half a dozen times as a kid, since I grew up in Ohio). Neil and I are each planning to attend an endowment session at the temple while we're there, which will be the first time I've been inside (it was under construction the last time we were there for longer than a few hours!) The kids have been talking about this for (I kid you not) months, and excitement has practically reached a fever pitch around here--we watched Legacy on Sunday night and they were all jittery with excitement. We've been listening to the Doctrine and Covenants scripture stories on constant (unending!) repeat for about two weeks now. Something I am super excited about: we're staying in a 150-year-old log cabin. For reals. (although yes, it is updated on the inside!) What's your favorite spot in Nauvoo? Mine was always the blacksmith shop--when I was younger and we'd go all the time, we were often the only ones there, so someone in our family usually went home with the miniature horseshoe (which they generally give away to the person with the closest birthday). image 1, image 2

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My grandpa helped rebuild a lot of the buildings around the area. And he did it while wearing old-timey pioneer clothes.

You're welcome.

Mary Beth said...

If Abigail's birthday's so close, that means she probably gets the horse shoe, right? If not, you really need to bribe the blacksmith into making her one. That was one of the highlights of my childhood.

And make sure they get some gingerbread from the Nauvoo Bakery!

Meghan said...

So I left a long, involved comment that got lost when my Touch freaked out. Have a great time, hope you have pleasant weather, get the molasses cookies from the bakery, and look all around when you're in the temple. Love you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails