Wednesday, March 24, 2010

where do you buy your groceries?



A couple of weeks ago, I was reading this article in the Atlantic Monthly. Essentially, it talks about the gigantic strides that Walmart has made in raising the quality of its produce--the author did a blind tasting with critics and foodies with foods sourced from Walmart and from Whole Foods. Surprise, surprise--Walmart came out ahead in many instances.

I used to hate Walmart (actually, I still dislike it). Just walking inside made me feel like I needed to wash my hands (still do). It always seemed to be full of people you'd never see anywhere outside in the "normal world." Their produce was wilting and the selection limited. When we moved here, I always shopped at the Pay Less/Smith's/Kroger, which was considerably more expensive, but boasted fresh sushi (made while you watched), a big section devoted to natural foods, and organic options for just about everything. Plus, I didn't have to wait in line for what seemed like a gazillion years. The cashiers were efficient and I never had to park a quarter-mile away at the edge of the lot. And best of all, there were book-return drop boxes for both local libraries right in front of the store.

Fast forward four years, and now I shop almost exclusively at Walmart. Food prices have gone up. The quality of produce at Kroger has gone down--I bought cilantro there a few weeks ago that wilted into brown nasty in a matter of days. I ended up going to Walmart for kale and parsnips after that same trip, since Kroger was out. Plus, have you tried the organic onions and Walmart brand of vanilla soy milk? Really good. And let's be honest, Walmart is way cheaper. Their lettuces are better. (Have you tried the Marketplace bagged spinach? Could not live as happily without a crisper drawer stuffed with those bags.) The apples are firm and crisp and juicy. Some of the produce is still hit and miss, but by and large, it's a better value than the other grocery stores in my area (the nearest Whole Foods is an hour away...and I must say, I wasn't super impressed the sole time I visited. Maybe I was just there on an off day, but the bulk bins were pretty disappointing and the produce section was smallish).

The only thing is, I don't like supporting Walmart. I wish I could afford to buy food only from the local farmers, but let's face it, my husband is a graduate student, and we have three small children.

What do you think? Where do you do your grocery shopping? Is it worth the extra money to avoid the big-box retailers, or do you think the changes make them worth patronizing? Have you noticed any changes in the quality of big-box store foods over the last few years?

image

14 comments:

Meghan said...

Like you, I've had an innate dislike of Wal Mart. But they are trying to buy from local sources, and I really like that. Their organic selection is extensive, and the quality has really improved. I still prefer the farmer's market, but the one I went to this week had one vendor with lettuce and the rest had honey, baked goods, and frozen meat. Not much fresh produce yet in Michigan. So if Wal Mart responds to customer's preference by buying local and organic, that's good for me. (Local may not happen as much now--even at the local health food co-op the produce was from CA or Mexico--but I'm interested to see what Wal Mart has this summer).

Sarah Harward said...

Aldi all the way. They don't have everything, well, they don't probably have even half, BUT I always get my apples, oranges, strawberries, grapes, broccoli, cucumbers, bananas, zucchini, avacado (ALWAYS under $1 a piece!) carrots, potatoes, onions, bagged salad, spinach, watermelon, peaches, pineapple (always cheaper and yummy!)....ummm and anything else they carry and am ALWAYS happy and impressed with the quality of their stuff. I know many people who won't even go into Aldi, but those people haven't ever been in to see what it's like. It's also great for canned veggies for food storage. Can't beat the prices. It's totally worth the extra trip (because you won't be able to get everything there). I tend to go to Aldi weekly and Walmart only about once a month. I know you don't use cow milk and eggs, but you really can't beat their prices on those either. Totally worth it for my family!! (if you've never been, just bring a quarter to get a cart (which you get back when you return your cart) and your own bags. You bag things yourself. It cuts down on their costs of having someone gather carts and bag your groceries)

Sarah Harward said...

p.s. Aldi yogurt is also great in my opinon! (can you tell I'm a fan?)

Ashlee said...

This post really hit a nerve, so beware of the rant below.

After just about every trip to Payless, I announce that I will NEVER go there again! There is ALWAYS something on my list that they are out of! They have an inventory problem! I mean they are very basic items, like tomatoes and bananas! Seriously! What grocery store in the United States should be out of tomatoes? Then sometimes I can only find chicken breasts in HUGE packages. Sometimes you don't want to buy enough to feed the neighborhood! Anyway, I swear that I am never going to go there again and then I always do. I just can't motivate myself to go to Wal-Mart and park so far away, wait in the checkout line forever, and walk all the way across the store for deodorant. Especially when I have Michael with me. After 15 minutes in the store, he is grabbing my shopping list or something off of the shelves! So, I continue to pay more money and get frustrated when Payless doesn't have a box of graham cracker crumbs and I end up having to buy a whole box of graham crackers and crumble them myself.

Erin said...

I have never really been impressed with WalMart's produce actually. Maybe it's just the part of town I'm in? And I will NEVER buy meat there again. I prefer the Marsh and the Meijer. Payless down here is ok too, but Meijer has a huge produce section with some things I have never been able to find anywhere else. I usually just shop where there are sales on what I want though.

sarah said...

I'm totally biased towards walmart, because we draw our income from it. If you don't like supporting it in the "big" sense, just remember you're supporting the associates families locally. Of course, WalMart Canada & WalMart in the US are organized completely differently as well.

I shop in 3 places; Loblaws for meat & speciality items (like fresh mozza), Product Depot for every fruit & veg imaginable, and WalMart for dry foods, hygiene items, pet food, and household stuff. (Our local store isn't a SuperStore.)

And why feel guilty for getting good produce at a cheap price, even if it is from a "big box" store? Savings are nothing to sneeze at.

Meghan said...

I want a Produce Depot....

Sarah G said...

I just finished watching Food Inc, and I have to say I am left with a sickness in my stomach about the quality of food we eat in the United States.
I shop almost exclusively at Kroger, however, I do make the occasional trip to Walmart. (While living in Norther Indiana, I shopped exclusively at a great chain called Wiseway. I miss that place!!) My findings are similar to yours in that the herbs (cilantro in particular) and fruits seem to becoming from a better source than Kroger. In addition to just disliking the Walmart "overtake" method of business, I was told by a former employee that the birds that get caught in the store regularly munch on the open produce. To say the least, I now limit my only produce purchases there to bagged items.
Also-- In the past few years, I have become a HUGE fan of the farmer's markets. There are a few locally, and I make it a point to go once a week as soon as they start up. In an effort to eat better quality food, I am going try and buy as much meat as I can from the markets, as well. They are local farmers and they also hand pack their meat.

K said...

I don't think you have this option where you live, but we love Costco produce. The downside- bulk size! 4 lbs of strawberries anyone? But we love our fresh fruits/veggies around here so we make it work. They're just as cheap as our super walmart. As for the rest of the shopping, it depends on my coupon deals, but usually walmart or winco are the default.

Laura Waltz said...

The Walmart where I am from has a horrible selection of fresh produce. I seemed to always have a rough time finding things that were fresh enough, so I stopped buying the produce there. I love Horrocks (did you ever go to the one in B.C.?), and Meijer seems to do pretty well here too. Those are the 2 main places I go for our fresh produce. Sometimes I get things from Kroger (I love their organic section as well) and I love to buy organic produce when I can.

Kristyn said...

I read The Walmart Effect and liked it (although it was by far not my favorite book). I was displeased by some of their practices and decided not to shop there a long time ago. However, I had a discussion with my brother in law where I realized in the end business is business so maybe they're not all that bad. But I can't get past the dirty feeling I get there so I still won't go there (or at least VERY rarely do).

I shop at this little local chain that has fantastic prices - but every time I walk in I wonder if I'm only shopping there because no one has ever written The FoodMaxx Effect book.

Crapos said...

I don't love Wal-Mart but ours isn't too bad and I do most of my shopping there. It's just cheaper all the way around. And to get Shamrock Farms milk, our most local dairy, you have to go there because they're the only one in town that carries it. And I've been impressed by their selection of organic cereals which is one of the few processed foods we still buy.
I love Fry's (our Kroger) because they're clean and have a huge natural and organic section. A lot of people around here swear it's the same price as Wal-Mart but I have found it to be much more expensive. I think it's because most of their sales are on items I don't buy. Even when the produce is on sale, I usually find that Wal-Mart is a few cents cheaper. And sometimes the produce isn't actually better.
We do a produce co-op now that gets us three reusuable wal-mart grocery bags of produce for 16.50. It's great and hopefully soon they'll have an organic pick up that is close enough to use too. Unfortunately, farmers markets in the desert are seriously lacking. You'll find more steel kokopelli's than peaches.

Heather said...

The Wal-Mart's produce where I live is pretty horrendous. I would never buy meat there either. We have a store here called Harmons that we LOVE. It has organic artisan breads and treats made daily, I mean you name it, they've got it. Sure I might pay a little more (I always use coupons too), but it's worth it to me. I get toiletries, & some other things at Wal-Mart because of the savings but I DREAD going there! I preactically break out in hives ;) We call it Crack-Mart.

Lindsey Ellis said...

I despise Wal Mart! I shop at Safeway (it's Vons here in CA). I missed Safeway terribly when we lived in IN. I absolutely love their dairy products, especially their light yogurt. There is a small family grocery store in Escondido, CA that is only 10 miles from my house that is my FAVORITE market. I can find anything and everything. Major Market has the best selection on any market I've been to. It's where I find my Manchego cheese. They carry bagged dried fruits and nuts from Bates Nut farm (another local establishment). I also love that their produce and fish are brought in fresh everyday. Still I have to go to my local health food store for bulk stuff like millet, etc. The more ATK I cook, the more grocery stores I have to hit. :(
I know this doesn't help you living in IN.

Related Posts with Thumbnails