Thursday, May 06, 2010

things I wish I'd known earlier

Some things I thought of while I was cleaning up after lunch today.  Mostly things that I am learning/have learned are important in making my life as a mother smoother and more joyful. 

  • Get up before everyone else.  There just isn't any other way to ensure a smooth start to your day.
  • Clean the bathroom while the kids are in the tub.
  • Good or bad stage, chances are that it will be over as soon as you a) fully appreciate it or b) figure out how to discipline it.
  • Two kids are always easier than one—the exception is at the grocery store.  Or anywhere that you’d like them to be well-behaved.
  • Wear an apron.
  • Sometimes it's more important for you to take a time-out than to send your kids there.
  • Exercise is imperative, for everyone—we all need a chance to blow off steam (or metabolize stress hormones, if you want to get technical).
  • Good food is worth the effort.
  • Read together every day.  There is no better opportunity to cuddle your children while you’re building their brains and your relationship.

  • Don't mistake things that are urgent for things that are important.
  • Drink lots of water.
  • Lunchtime is a great time to prep ingredients for dinner—this gives you something to do besides say, “Please hurry up!”
  • Communicate love.
What would you add?

3 comments:

Dani said...

Don't worry about what your kids are wearing. Let them be individuals! (Obviously there are some limits. As cute as that parka looks with your plaid shorts, it's 90 outside and I'd rather not take you to the ER for heat stroke today.) Teach them to be well-groomed (hair done, teeth brushed, no stained clothes, etc.), but let them be them and celebrate their individuality. This may seem like a small thing, but I've found that letting them have these choices reminds me that they are their own people and I should treat them as such. And I have to admit that I get a good chuckle out of my four-year-old's outfits.

Meghan said...

Great list! The only things I'd add (and you've covered the first) are:

This too shall pass.

God loves our children even more than we do, and He will do all He can to bring them back to Him.

Neil said...

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Related Posts with Thumbnails