Monday, April 06, 2020
Today
...was hard.
We are supposed to be on a Florida beach right now.
Instead we drove to Neil’s office and turned in our company lease (we don’t need 2 cars right now).
I stared out the window at the acres and acres of empty parking lots at the plant and felt numb.
On the way home I listened to Neil’s end of his work call. Today he still has a job. Most of the engineers at his company do not. There’s a mandatory 20% salary deferment for the managing engineers who were not laid off. I’m not worried about money now but I am worried about how long he will still have a job if this keeps going.
The kids had piano over FaceTime.
I laid on my bed during their lessons and just sobbed. I’m deep in a depressive episode and while I can recognize it and I know it’s my brain and not reality, I’m still convinced that my family would be doing so much better through this if they had a different wife and mother to rely on.
When I’m really stressed I tear at my feet. Right now they are so bloodied that I can’t walk without intense pain, let alone run.
I had a package of Ritz crackers today for dinner and then fell asleep at 6 pm.
I had so many things to do for work today and I could only handle answering two emails at a time. Then I had to walk away. It took me all day to get through my inbox.
I feel intense guilt right now for not having this fun spring break plan for my kids. I feel anger that I DID plan something fun and we had to cancel. I feel resentment that most of the complications with the kids being home has fallen on me, and I feel guilt for every single minute that Neil spends with us rather than in his office. I feel fear when my breathing is so labored that I am using my rescue inhaler every four hours, and when I can’t make it through a full sentence without stopping to draw a deep breath. And mostly I want to feel nothing, and that’s what is scariest of all.
We are supposed to be on a Florida beach right now.
Instead we drove to Neil’s office and turned in our company lease (we don’t need 2 cars right now).
I stared out the window at the acres and acres of empty parking lots at the plant and felt numb.
On the way home I listened to Neil’s end of his work call. Today he still has a job. Most of the engineers at his company do not. There’s a mandatory 20% salary deferment for the managing engineers who were not laid off. I’m not worried about money now but I am worried about how long he will still have a job if this keeps going.
The kids had piano over FaceTime.
I laid on my bed during their lessons and just sobbed. I’m deep in a depressive episode and while I can recognize it and I know it’s my brain and not reality, I’m still convinced that my family would be doing so much better through this if they had a different wife and mother to rely on.
When I’m really stressed I tear at my feet. Right now they are so bloodied that I can’t walk without intense pain, let alone run.
I had a package of Ritz crackers today for dinner and then fell asleep at 6 pm.
I had so many things to do for work today and I could only handle answering two emails at a time. Then I had to walk away. It took me all day to get through my inbox.
I feel intense guilt right now for not having this fun spring break plan for my kids. I feel anger that I DID plan something fun and we had to cancel. I feel resentment that most of the complications with the kids being home has fallen on me, and I feel guilt for every single minute that Neil spends with us rather than in his office. I feel fear when my breathing is so labored that I am using my rescue inhaler every four hours, and when I can’t make it through a full sentence without stopping to draw a deep breath. And mostly I want to feel nothing, and that’s what is scariest of all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have followed you since you had two little girls. I only commented once before, when you contemplated giving up your blog several years ago. You are a wonderful mother...just look how well your children are growing! You were strong and innovative when you had that tiny house with all those kids. I was happy to see how content you were with your well-deserved new situation. I know this pandemic is a monkey wrench to your current life, but you have done hard things before, and you will do so now, too. I have a daughter your age who has the covid-19 virus, and I was devastated at first. Now she appears to be improving, and luckily her case is a mild one. It is normal to feel sad in these strange times, but you will feel better soon. Don't beat yourself up about your sadness, because I know you have the strength to get through it. Here's to better days ahead for all of us!
Thank you for your comment--I really appreciate it so very very much. I hope you and yours are well!
Rachael, I am soooo sorry about the way things are feeling for you right now! Just 😭😭 I wish I could help somehow!
Just know I'll be praying for you and that you are EXACTLY the mother and wife your kids and Neil need. Truly.
And here's a quote I love from Wendy Ulrich that has helped me when I feel like things are too hard.
God is a master, an expert, an absolute genius at turning trash into treasure, stupidity into wisdom, suffering into character, and sin (yes, even sin) into new life--IF, and it is a big if--IF we will let Him. IF we will catch the vision of His redeeming plan and not let go, IF we will repent and have faith in the atonement of Christ, then God can not only save but also exalt us.
The purpose of life is not to get back to God in the same state of innocence and purity we were in when we left Him. Rather our charge here is to learn the compassion, humility, discipline, and understanding of good and evil that come only with experience and risk, failure and resilience. Our charge is to get back to God much, much wiser and better than when we left Him, something we accomplish only through traveling the bruising, bloodying roads of mortal temptation, affliction, and periodic failure, as well as the roads of triumph, satisfaction, and ultimate joy. -Wendy Ulrich
Post a Comment